Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE >

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 AM

Default RE: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Keep us posted. Hope my "secret" spot is NOT listed.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i called the state a couple years back to ask if i could get a copy of the old book with all the wildlife management maps but they said they didnt have any and werent making any more.my buddy at work still has his and he makes me copies all the time.they did say something about continuing to make the one for fishing with the lakes ponds and rivers. if you call them they will send you for free any map to the wildlife management areas including the newer ones. i do have to laugh about the icons in it telling you the best parts on the map to hunt the different species of game. if there is going to be a more detailed book it might be worth it if its at a low price. i found between the free maps from the state and the big book new jersey gazateer road atlas map you get from staples you can find boundaries to most anything.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:26 PM

will this book only have wma's or will it have other land that is opened to hunting like newark watershed????
Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM

Yeah, well I just use them as a guide. To get specific I visit the local tax collector... he has all kinds of maps of who owns what. Plus, they are up-to-date!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not just look in the back of the rule book under public land , then visit mapquest?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/huntland.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm
Old 01-30-2005, 09:16 PM

This book is not just a boundry book. Anyone can go to the website and download a map. Also, tax offices are only open during the week when most of us are at work. This book much more then boundries.
1) The Intro ( about us and how we complied all the information)
2) About the book ( how it will make your time more enjoyable and well spent)
3) How to use the book ( Appling the information to you the sportsman)
4) Best WMA's per species of game ( Yes, what is good in Oct. make stink the joint up in Dec.)
5) Harvest and hunting pressure info ( Just because deer Zone 5 averages 5,560 deer for the past 10 years does it make sense to hunt there if theres 25,000 hunters there. On 10 WMAs) Hopefully your are starting to see how this book is laid out.
6) WMA general ( description, size, habitat, access, parking, local shops, gear needs, game, etc.)
7) Other state and/or public land ( State parks, State Forests, and other privately owned public accessable land i.e. PSE& G tracts)
8) Listings of clubs, organizations, game farms, food markets, taxidermists, sportsmans shops and bait & tackle shops
9) Maps and mapping ( how to use, GPS hot spots where to start your journey, not this is Billy Bobs stand and he harvested a monster buck here. Looking at a map and knowing how to use it. Two entirely different things.
10) Information about our public land newsletter info. This will be free sent to book purchasers. It will start in September 2005 till March 15, 2006. It will contain vital info about public land through out the season. This will be available via the E-mail only. Updated daily.

I hope this clears up some questions. If there is any information that you would like to see in the book please feel free to reply. Good or bad we would love to hear it. We have thick skin. Briar and bug proof so to speak. This book is for you. You can help with your questions. There are no stupid ones. Just ones not asked.

Today, at Abbotts Meadow WMA in Elsinboro me and my 10 year old son were running our beagles, not hunting it's Sunday. We ran 4 rabbits in 3 hours, looking for horns and just tracking in the fresh snow. I found out why, we didn't find any antlers. My son said " dad look up there! " and sure enough there were 12+ deer looking at us about 20 yards out. 3 bucks, sevaral does and one really nice one. Wider then his ears, no point count, but nice. This spot is hunted hard all season for everything rabbits, waterfowl and deer. What do you know 4 rabbits seen and 12+ deer left. Remember it's hunting and nature only lets us take the excess. Good luck with what left guys. Hope to hear for you all. This book will help the average man as well as the man with money to buy land. As for the price not listed yet. Production cost will dictate the price. I gurantee it will save you time and gas. Even if you only use it 1 time. There will be a chart with mileage for certain location to the public grounds, just to give you an idea how early you have to wake up to travel there. Nice feature.

Till our trails cross,
Wild Work

ORIGINAL: dragthor

Yeah, well I just use them as a guide. To get specific I visit the local tax collector... he has all kinds of maps of who owns what. Plus, they are up-to-date!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Hello,
Sad to say, but it most likely will. Not you exact tree or strip of woods, but the area with details. Sorry, but I'm sure someone already knows. Remember this is the most populated state per capita. You might find a new to you spot that is someone elses hot spot. The only place on earth I've been that offers the I'm the only one here is Alaska visit there you'll never want to come back. If it wasn't for the kids, I would not have.

Till our trails cross,
Wild Work
ORIGINAL: dragthor

Keep us posted. Hope my "secret" spot is NOT listed.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM

You will be calling it the bible.
ORIGINAL: JL

This book sounds like a good venture. I think we need a better discription of the boundries in these areas and also parking and access other than main parking lots. Many WMAs have really changed in the past few year. I've gotten topo maps from the state that were just crappy photocopies that you could hardly read.
There's been pleanty of places I've pasted through and wondered what that area has to offer but just couldn't find the time to take tht inital hike. A book like this would be real helpful.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 AM

Why I utilize the local tax collector:

- Up-to-date boundaries. Since NJ is a very populated state... I like to know who owns what. This is especially great when non-hunting land owners come up to you and say "Hey, you cannot hunt here. This is private property." Bang...whip out the tax map.

- Combat jerks who post "No Hunting" signs on a WMA. I've been walking around a WMA and come across a "No Hunting" sign even though my map says its WMA land. Bag...whip out the tax map.

- The NJ DEP continually buys/trades/swaps land.

- Access for parking. Just because the WMA map says "Park Here"... I utilize the map to find places that are along side a public road. That way I can park there... and when some guy who owns a house across the street approaches me and says "Hey buddy, you cannot park there"... Bang...whip out the tax map.

- So that I can respond "Oh yeah. Well go ahead and call the police/game warden. My car is parked at X. I'll be out after it gets dark. Have a good day."

- To show the Game Warden and/or Police Officer.

Quick Reply: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC HUNTING GUIDE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.