Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wild pigs in PA

Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wild pigs in PA

Has anyone in southern PA came across any of those wild boars yet? I read about it in an article in the Altoona Mirror and according to it a good many of them are being killed.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wild pigs in PA

[:@] ik i want to go hunting and i havent foound a place togo no one has ansered when i posted trhe ?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Haven't heard anything about it up here (Warren Co.). I'd love to go pig hunting say, in Tennessee, but I'm not sure having those in this state is such a good thing, they can really cause some serious problems.

mmmmmmm bacon!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I say lets stock the babies,at least it will something to shoot. I dont even think the PGC could get rid of them.They really take over a place
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I agree on stocking some breeders, all you need to do is go to the Leesport auction and buy weaned shoalts when the price is down then turn them loose and keep your mouth shut. won't be long and they'll take over the area. Every state that has them is trying to get rid of them but you don't hear many hunters complaining about them.
The PGC hasn't a chance of keeping them under control. That would drive the DCNR crazy!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM

I'll tell you one group that would disagree with ulysses, Farmers.Wait until their soy bean fields get rooted up.OOOOHHH BABY!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some between the Williamsport to NY stretch area in North Central, PA. There are a few high fence game ranches there that had some get loose in the late 90's and I spent some time hunting them with a friend back then. We never killed one but did see a lot of sign. They would destroy corn fields and eat corn from the inside of the field to the outside. They are pretty smart critters. Neighbors and farmers killed one and had pics of others out there. Don't know if they are still in the area.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM

There have been wild hogs in California since Spanish settlers first brought swine to the state in the 1700s. In the 1920s a sportsman imported Russian wild boar and released them into the wild and over time hybrids have been created. Up until the 1950s they were considered a non-native destructive pest and could killed without restriction. At that point the California DFG noted that people actually went out to hunt them as game animals, so the state declared them big game animals and required that tags be purchased to take wild pigs. They were cheap; for $9 you could get a book of five tags. As pig hunting has become more popular the DFG discovered they were probably leaving money on the table and this year changed the rule so that starting this year, instead of 5 tags for $9 you have to pay $15 for one tag.

The moral is, once wild pigs start to become popular as a game animal, expect to start paying a lot more to hunt them even though they are just as big a nuisance to agricultural interests in California as they are in other states.

Californiadoctor