Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Where to hunt in Northern Maine >

Where to hunt in Northern Maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where to hunt in Northern Maine

Old 02-23-2005, 11:00 AM

Default RE: Where to hunt in Northern Maine

Mr 45-70,
If you are going to hunt on your own you need to listen to Moosehorn hunter. What he is telling you is by far the best way to get a big Maine buck.
What he told you in a few sentences is exactly what those phony Benoits charge a few hundred dollars for at a "seminar". Those guys hunt every day of every season in 2 or 3 states plus Quebec. If you couldn't kill a buck every year by doing that, then you may as well stay home.

Champlain Islander,
If those loggers took their share of the road, they would take it all, it's their road. You have no share, BE CAREFUL.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM

Portage....I have read and re read your post where you imply that I am full of "bunk". Your right....the deer are wicked smart where you hunt. They don't leave tracks any more, and they don't cross roads. They must be educated. Are you kidding me. And if you had to drive 50 miles of roads before you saw a track my friend, your either full of it or blind.
Thanks for sticking up for me Maineguide....at least i know somebody else knows how to hunt here. My guess is ol'portage rides the roads....come on ol' boy....fess up now great white hunter.
The one and only difference that i have found that sets Maine apart from all other places I have hunted is this; if you jump a deer and he goes.....you can forget about it. For some reason, they don't stop running in northern Maine. I don't care how good you think you are, you won't catch up to em. The last one I bumped and followed went a solid half mile in a full on bounding sprint. I followed him for at least three more miles and that sucker never even slowed down from a full run to check his back.
Everything I have written in this post is gospel. If you want to kill a big un' in the Maine woods, listen to what i have told you, and reap the rewards. Ya see...I am not interested in charging for my advise like the benoits, and quite honestly, they have nothing on me....I do believe I would hunt those boys to death.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 AM

And as far as what Maineguide said about the trucks....he isn't foolin. They will put ya in a ditch quicker than you can bat a lash.....They absolutely will not move for ya...bet on it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM

moosehornhunter

I take the 3rd and 4th week off from work. I hunt north and west of Allagash and west of Portage lake. Let's meet and hunt. We'll see who is full of bunk.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the offer portage, but i'm gonna pass. You see, I am past the stage of having to prove myself to others. However, i wish you the best of luck. Re-read my posts, study them if you like, then send me a pic of the biggest buck of your life. Over and out. P.S. Don't forget to say thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM

Exactly the response I suspected I'd get. I'll give you MY number and when you are ready to put your money where your mouth is we'll talk
Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

OK guys I bet both of you are really good hunters. There is probably enough room in the Great North Maine Woods for both of you. Moosehornhunter you should look up Maineguide5424. I bet you would really hit it off with him because his posts have the same tone and attitude that yours do. You might have found a long lost relative.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM

Champlain Islander,
I hope you're not upset because you can't come here from Vermont and automatically claim a share of a road.

Like I told you, that is THEIR road they LET you use part of it, but if they decide to use it all you better get off it.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

what one area or county would one hunt in the great northern parts of maine to even have a chance at a benoit or bernier type buck? do they favor the same areas or can they just magically go into any part of the allagash and bring one out. do they drive the roads aimlessly looking for tracks? or can they just put some miles on the feetskies wherever they set up camp? what im trying to say if i was hunting say illinois i would probably want to hunt pike county. ive deer hunted near jackman maine and it was very hard going to even see a doe. if the guide told me my only chance was to track a deer i wouldnt have wasted my time sitting the roads like he had me doing the first couple days.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Spike

Big bucks get shot in all corners of the state and everywhere in between. A look at the big buck list each year will show that. As far as the best chance at a whopper, the northern half of the state is King. Some of the locals would be able to tell you better where to go. I hunt in Central Maine, zone 17, and feel that this area is about the best in terms of a balance of deer numbers and opportunity at a big buck. You have a better crack at a big buck up north, and see more deer down south, but have the best of both worlds around zone 17... Along with the gang here, there are a number of Mainers at the link below who could also be of help to you... DL

Quick Reply: Where to hunt in Northern Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.