HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/86467-west-virginia-freezer-hunters.html)

MasonsRidge 01-14-2005 04:01 PM

WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Don't you just hate those so-called hunters that screw the deer hunting up for all the others? You know the ones, the guys who shoot anything that is brown, the ones who don't check their deer in, the ones who always use the line- I got one for the "freezer".
In West Virginia there are entirely too many "freezer hunters" and not enough "trophy hunters".
These same so-called hunters are the same ones that don't want to see an antler restriction (AR) imposed on the deer herd. They are also the "greedy" hunters that take 4-5 does a year. If West Virginia doesn't curb their doe hunting and instill an antler restriction soon, these "freezer hunters" just might have to find a job.

DougMD 01-14-2005 04:07 PM

RE: WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

dittos on that

vtbuckrulrss 01-14-2005 05:53 PM

" freezer hunters" are the ones who truly know what life is like. trophy hunters are like the pimple on a hunter's tail that needs to be popped and removed. your description of people killing and not reporting above sounds more like poachers, not hunters. i can't stand those that put down others on either side of the arguement, even though i can't say that i like ar's for one moment. practise it on your own land, leave the rest of us alone that are happy harvesting an animal of any size, for we know that the word trophy in reference to the harvesting of wild game is all in the eye of the beholder. your score of 190 means nothing to me, i'll take a 220lb, dressed deer over that any day.

jerseyhunter 01-14-2005 06:10 PM

your score of 190 means nothing to me, i'll take a 220lb, dressed deer over that any day.
Heck, I'll take a tender 120 lber for the freezer any day. Can't afford to put it on the wall.:D;)

MasonsRidge 01-14-2005 09:21 PM

VT. and NJ. I think you pretty much said it all. Being that neither one of your states produces very many deer, it is very understanding that you two have no clue when it comes to hunting deer.

There is no need for name calling and/or personal attacks.

jerseyhunter 01-15-2005 02:18 AM

Well while your admiring the spot on your wall where you want to hang your trophy , I'll be b-b-qing some venison. Excuse me right now, I have to go and climb up and give my tree it's morning hug. Oh and bye the way, every deer I have ever taken be it with a bow or a gun was a trophy in my eyes. Guess some people just put more value on the things on top of a deers head than whats in the heart of fellow hunters.

MasonsRidge 01-15-2005 06:49 AM

Just remember to stay out of our state (West Virginia), we don't need your kind or your money.

moose1915 01-15-2005 07:05 AM

can always tell when its the "off"season....

davidmor 01-15-2005 07:32 AM

Hmmm, I have always had the opposite feelings. To me hunting is all about filling the freezer. It the deer happens to have a nice set of antlers, that is a bonus. I guess with your reasoning, our forefathers weren't hunters either. After all, all they were doing was feeding their families with what they harvested. I am sure all the true hunting pioneers had a log cabin full of trophy racks and hungry families. I don't think any less of hunters that hunt for a trophy as long as they use the meat, but for some reason I don't hear a lot of stories about poachers killing does and leaving the carcus to rot. I do hear a lot about poachers killing bucks, cutting the heads or antlers off and leaving the rest of the carcus to rot however. I guess these are "true hunters".

MasonsRidge 01-15-2005 07:49 AM

Things have changed from the time of our fore-fathers, computers, scopes on guns, compound bows, electric, tree stands, broadheads and numerous other things such as grocerie stores. I don't really think in this day and age many hunters are out hunting in hope of killing deer to support their families.
I myself just think that it takes more of a hunter to take a buck than to kill a doe. Anyone can sit in their pick up and shoot a doe, it takes a "real" hunter to hunt in inclimate weather (0-30) and put numerous hours in the woods on their stand in pursuit of a "trophy" buck.
To each their own, just don't bitch and moan when all the "freezer hunters" have taken most of does by their greed and you're not seeing the number of der that you were accustomed to in years past.