Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters" >

WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Old 01-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Every day was Grreat. Didn't see or shoot anything , but at least I was there.
JerseyHunter, Amen!! This is the first time in years that I was not able to hunt or even be in the woods at all[&:][] Already have next years season opener down as vacation time though!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Already have next years season opener down as vacation time though!
I know you'll make up for it. Better give that wall a fresh coat of paint now.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

LOL..... I am finally getting my 03 8pt mnt back with a little help from some good friends here at HNI. You folks know who you are...and I thank you again! He already has a place on the wall. I have knotty pine wood paneling in my Living room...so NO paint! NO WAY.......

The two I have had mounted may not be anything to anyone but me....both have good spreads, height and were memorable hunts. I have not scored my 8 from '03 yet, the six from '02 was around 112-115. The reason I had them mounted was more for the memories of the hunt and lessons learned. Not to mention as thanks for such majestic animals dropping at one shot. Might be simply a spiritual reason. Could not really afford it but they sure deserved it IMO. We all may dream of that monster...mine this year was poached.... Sadly it is pathetic some would mount a 10pt such as that and brag on their "hunting prowess" what a crock! We know who did it ....but the Game wardens are so understaffed in this state it is not even funny... [:@][][X(] Taking the law into your own hands is risky at best ....but on my acreage which is posted. Beware [:@]

Oh....and I can't wait til this coming season. Have the video cam ready to take video of the lil ones growing up and their brothers and sisters from past years getting bigger. And btw, I do not doe hunt because of
WV's liberal doe hunting regs ....if I cannot agree with the rationalization I will not participate! At this point in time it has become major overkill in some, perhaps many counties here due to the fact that the ones not checked in .....sadly get lost in the shuffle.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The state of WV, I believe, has heard that many hunters are unhappy with the # of deer they are seeing. The ball is in their court. You'll soon learn just how much the people mean to your legislaters compared to the $$$$$$$$.

Another question...In Virginia, many areas allow nearly unlimited doe killing for nearly 2 months. Why are they still overrun with deer?
Old 01-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Pro, That is exactly my point! We used to have just Buck only season....but NO, they phased that out and let it be Buck only for the first 3 days.....then does are fair game. Right after that is doe season, then muzzy. And they have their wish(DNR) instead of allowing mother nature to take care of it, they have it open for whatever and have not talked of their goals, with the exception of the deer population reduction.
Hell, they sure have what they wanted as far as that is concerned IMO...and those taking button bucks and yearlings of each sex. I just drafted two letters to send to the new Governer, the DNR, DNR leo division and State Senators etc....I may be only one voice but....will speak my mind.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Spike

I am not going to comment about what sex and how many deer are killed other than that I am a member and firm believer in the QDMA. One main problem with the DNR is that it is so underfunded because they won't raise the license fees. No money means no law enforcement. But after interning with the 3 CO's where I live, the fines are so cheap and if the magistrate court doesn't care they don't prosceute them anyway. They get off with a small fine and the court cost. Look at the fines other states impose and revoking of your hunting privilege. Our WV government thinks we are to poor to pay for the license and can't afford to pay fines for poaching therefore decreasing the value of our wildlife. Look at the dnr's new license proposal page and look at the cost of licenses from our neighboring states. It's a joke and it cheapens the value of our animals. If you want more CO's though, people are going to have to buck up and pay for an increase.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

RidgeRunner, I also have to say good post... This state brings in millions during hunting season and the politicians do not want to see those monies lost.... In the long run it will have a very sad outcome for our state deer herd IMHO. Classic case of $$$$ = negative common sense.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:31 PM

i honestly dont believe that your dnr is so corrupt as to disregard the entire deer population for money. After all, according to your complaints, once all of the deer are gone then there will be no money. So I'm pretty sure that they are keeping the deer season at a reasonable limit that is not hurting the deer herd. its like the supply and demand curve. the less the deer= less hunters hunting= less money.

So im pretty sure they are keeping the numbers high.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

PapaD, Live here and see the numbers decline from a local standpoint.....there is a definate difference since the liberal doe hunting regs were made official. Granted that was needed at the time, however.... now it needs to be checked as the population is declineing in many counties of WV. The numbers are skewed in my opinion, not that the stats lie, rather the kill of all deer is not considered as no records can be kept on those not checked in, and there are many.
Roane was one of the largest harvest counties in this state, but the Bucks harvested are no way near what they were just two years ago. It is mostly the doe harvest that brings the numbers up. For every doe killed since WV liberal seasons that have been in effect ... count atleast 3 deer dead. 1 doe, and atleast 2 fawns, one perhaps most certainly a Buck. Just a thought..

And nothing against those that take does. I just have not for several years as I do not agree with state regs. Blessings to those of you that have meat in your freezers.

RidgeRunner, just read your last post....excellent and so true!!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MasonsRidge

Since it's OUR state( born & raised).. who gave YOU authority to speak for the rest of us? Please refrain from making those type statements. WVa has a bad reputation anyway.. we don't need you adding to that......
Since I was born in West Virginia and have lived my entire 43 yrs. within this state (west Virginia) and graduated from WVU with a minor in Forestry I think my opinions are valid towards this discussion.
As for speaking for the rest of US, I think by travelling and hunting in McDowell County, Elkins, Tucker County, Preston County, Taylor County, Monogalia County, Wood County, Wayne County, Hampshire and Marshall Counties and talking to several hunting companions as well as other hunters within the state makes my point a valid one. As for giving or adding to the states bad reputation, you can leave that up to the Randy Mosses, Charlie Manson's and all the "poachers" who give West Virgina a "bad" reputation.
Have a good day.
Wow... all those areas of the state? try 35 of the 55 counties and climbing... I'm near 50 ( your college is commenable, but that's about all), and the attitude that you show is repulsive towards other people. Yes we have outlaws, what state don't... but the way you pass on you opinions is unfriendly , and frankly, pathetic. Their musta been some classes at Morgantown that you missed...."How to speak to others,101"....

Quick Reply: WEST VIRGINIA "Freezer Hunters"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.