Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DE Late Shotgun Season >

DE Late Shotgun Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Late Shotgun Season

Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DE Late Shotgun Season

Snowing hard since about 1:00;
Today at 5:10 pm. Deer snorted behind stand. I hunkered down on the floor,hid behind cammo he was so close. He walked within 5-6 yrds under stand. It was 5pnt buck hobbling on 3 legs. L/F leg appeared to be locked flush under body. I couldn't legaly shoot the deer. Behind and following him was a very nice basket 6-8+ pnt who looked up at me and did his stomping routine. He ran off few yrds,turned around and walked back across my stand. I yelled at him to get him stopped. He stopped looked at me, I scanned his rack/ears with scope, he wasn't legal(minimum 15"). Both deer trotted off. Both came within 10 yrds or less from stand. My buddy was in stand across rd. He walked into a small buck at dark while walking to truck. We're headed back in the A.M. Thurs. No deer but a good rush!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:16 PM

Sounds like an exciting hunt. Good discipline not to shoot the crippled buck. Not sure I could have done that. I thinks its a shame to have to let deer like that go, but you have to stay within the law. Go get'um 2morrow. Stay warm!

My dad is heading out tomorrow in the PM and Im heading out Friday. Looks like Saturday is going to be a Snow/bad wind out for us, so this it. Then 2 more bow hunts the next week.

Crunch time.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 PM

I thinks its a shame to have to let deer like that go, but you have to stay within the law
You can't put an injured deer down in DE ?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:25 AM

You can't put an injured deer down in DE ?
I'll have to check the regs again, but I believe you need a buck tag to take it home. Sounds like AJ only has his quality buck tag left, therefore shooting that deer wouldnt have been legal.

Wouldnt you need a Buck tag or either sex permit in NJ too?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes - I'm stuck with Quality tag. This is the 3rd buck I've let walk. Thats life. I could see tip of ears just barely extend beyond rack. Thats the rule of thumb in the field and in the regs for a 15" spread. If nobody whacks him in the next week he should be a monster next year. Even if I had no buck I would have to make the decision to 'cull' the cripple or take the 6-8 pnt(he was probably 8pnt). I would have taken out the larger deer,leaving the cripple. Maybe somebody will get a shot and cull him.

Funny thing was I spooked the larger buck,he trotted off a few yrds and turned around and came back to the cripple. Thats when I yelled to stop him and scoped his rack. He was right on the tail of the cripple the whole time. Very strange to watch even though it all lasted no more than 5-6 minutes.

A prime example that just watching animals/nature can be almost as rewarding as the harvest. Try to explain that to a Bamby Lovin,Tree Huggin,Flower Sniffin,Lettuce Eatin,Bed Wettin Liberal ANTI.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Going out tonight with wife and son. Have not seen any deer except for 2 buttons on Monday night. Hard to tell this time of year with the deer all grouped up and all.

Good luck everyone...especaily you DUCK!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: AJ52
Try to explain that to a Bamby Lovin,Tree Huggin,Flower Sniffin,Lettuce Eatin,Bed Wettin Liberal ANTI.
Dude, that line had me laughin so hard I got tears in my eyes. Best description ever. I usually call em' tree hugin' bunny lickers but you got it best on that one. I'm still laughin'!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:55 PM

went out saturday 15th, saw nothing, couldnt make it monday, went out tuesday from 10am till dark ( with the bodyheater suit) about 5:20 started to roll up the suit to get ready to leave, was hunting on the ground near a holly tree, when i hear some kind of pounding, well i look up, i was on my knees rolling the suit up in my asat, damn doe about 15 yrds away on the other side of the tree stomping, reached for my gun and she starts blowing at me but doesnt leave, guess she coouldnt figure out what i was. She wouldnt move out from behind the tree so i picked a small opening about where the vitals would be and squeezed. To make a long story short i shouldnt have took the shot, slug must have got thrown off target by the six in diameter limb that had a fresh nick in it. White hair at the shot sight and very little blood for about 400 yrds. I searched for the deer on wensday, just in case she layed down after the shot, There was no sign of her laying down in that 400. Went out yesterday at 10am till dark, nothing, didnt go today, cant make it tomorrow. Sucks screwing that shot up. Have had a serious problem with rushing the shot year, both bow and gun.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Another finger numbing evening. Hunted 3:15 - til dark and saw nothing. I really thought the deer would move in this cold, but NOOOOOO!!! There was quite a bit of corn left that I put out Monday which suprised me. Maybe the deer are hanging out elsewhere. Did see 3 foxes.

Going to hunt the AM and get out before the blizzard rolls in. Looks bad in the PM. Maybe the deer wont bed down before light because of the impending storm?? Maybe try and get a few more bites to eat before the snow?? Thats what Im going to tell myself anyway....

Good Luck all. Be REAL Safe if you try an afternoon hunt. Not sure a deer is worth being out in that kinda weather.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

No one has seen many deer in that neck of the woods recently, they are probably getting herded up before the storm, Someone gave one to my neighbor that he got in WCC State park, I think yesterday... I am still putting out corn for them in my back yard , doesnt seem to be going as fast as it was, who knows,, they are puzzling at times.... I didn't go out this second season.

Quick Reply: DE Late Shotgun Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.