Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions, in PA or NY? >

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Old 01-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Default RE: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Chicory, you are one bad (kidding)guy! Hahaha, I do like your humor!

Guys, Ive been in the people business long enough to know how all this stuff gets started. There is no way the state is stocking lions...period. You can come to my shop and argue with me until you turn colors, Im not buying it, and I know from where I speak. Im called a know-it-all for taking this stance, but heck, it is what it is.

The chances of a mt lion roaming in on its own are, of course, possible, no doubt. Personally, I wish it happened more often, as bear or moose sightings in new areas are always fun. But the state cannot do this for us, as it puts them in such a liabilty nightmare that you couldnt imagine. The few people who can LEGALLY have a captive reared lion have to do so through the DEC and also Ag and Markets here in NY state. This is why you MIGHT see the odd lion, as an escaped animal. This would also expalin the metal tag. I use metal tags from Ags and Markets for my captive deer, its the same exact tag youll see on monitored bear too. The DEC is not liable for the lions in captivity, and I can assure you there are very few. If one escaped after it was being kept legally, it would have such a tag.

Its just like the pics floating around of the game tracker photo with the lion trailing right behind the deer. Started out west, and has since been "adopted" here as an eastern occurence. Anyone with at least a 4th grade education can see its a blacktail or mulie, the pic isnt that clear(surprise) so its not an eastern situation anyway. Look, havent you guys seen the pics of women with 100 lb hooters? Surely you dont think those are real too? OK, Im having fun with you now, but thats the point, regardless.

The DEC released all those otters a few years ago as a "feel good" thing for taxpayers. The otters up and traveled off to where they would naturally be, or died. Before that they released lynx in the Adirondacks, same thing, migrated off or died. Its how it works. Same with snowshoe hares in WNY. Fox food that time.

Ok, whats next, Bigfoot? Every scream in the woods is now a bobcat, I so often hear guys say. Its funny, cuz grey fox used to be the culprit in winter, and young herons and horned owls in the summer, same sound!

Look guys, Im NOT making fun of anyone here. Im just stating facts. We all kinda WANT some of this to be true, as it would be fun, of course. The biggest reason we have less deer in NY state? (drumroll).....because 1) the state issued a ton of tags a couple years in a row, and 2) most all of us killed that many deer those years!

Im sure Ive p*ssed some folks off with this, so go ahead and fire away, I have big enough shoulders!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

The biggest reason we have less deer in NY state? (drumroll).....because 1) the state issued a ton of tags a couple years in a row, and 2) most all of us killed that many deer those years!
BINGO,you nailed that one right on the head
Old 01-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 25 openings for mountain lion hunts in PA. This is the place to go for B&C cats. They haven't been hunted for years so they are world class. Why pay weekly fees for hunts through any other outfitter. When I will sell you a lifetime hunt for $100.00. Come when you want its a lifetime offer.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are killing me!!!!!I live in a state with some of the heaviest populations of cats and you are seeing way more cats than I have seen in a decade of hunting in the mountains. I spent my earlier years of hunting in the southern tier, and the same old legends are still around as I see. All talk and no proof. I have been told that people have seen the DEC release cougars in Avoca. I have also heard of cougars being seen up in the Adirondacks on the raquette river. I never beleived it then and don't beleive it now. As far as cougars getting ready to have you for lunch. It is highly unlikely unless you corner one. Good luck this year and don't let the kitties get you. p.S. I do have one lounging on the back of my couch though. They are pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmmm still no pics? i'm suprised!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM

We went through this whole thing back in November. With the stories of killing cattle and that famous picture ot the lion ready to jump on the mule deer....It just won't go away, I have even seen that picture twice in the last 2 weeks here in Rochester NY. Both with stories of it being taken in a diferent location. It was funny though to go through deer season and not a one was seen, shot or had a picture taken of it.........It just won't go away.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There hasn't been a documented mountain lion in the wild in New York State in over 150 years. Stories about the DEC or game commisions being responsible for introducing them is ridiculous. To believe this you have to accept a conspiracy theory of huge proportion. Virtually all of the game commisions and DEC's East of the Mississippi and the Federal wildlife commission will tell you the same thing. NOT THERE! Of all those people don't you think just 1 would go to the press. What a story it would make. Think how many politicians would loose any chance of re election when the public found out what they had done. Risking the lives of citizens in one of the most populated states in the country! And if somebody were attacked and the people found out the game commision was keeping it a secret, why the lawsuits would be amazing. Just think, the government couldn't even keep the stealth bomber a secret from the press for heavens sake. Do you think any government official would risk his/her job, law suits etc and manage to conspire with a whole bunch of other government officials just to control a few deer? Come on! Just because you want to believe something, doesn't make it true. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but their not entitled to their own facts and to date the facts are that there is NO DOCUMENTED EVEDENCE!

I should add that its also against state and federal law to introduce a species into the environment without a public hearing so these officials could also be facing criminal prosecution. So lets see if I'm a dec official do I go through all of this to control the deer or just issue more permits?

Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 PM

Default l

where in in bradford co turkeyhunter
Old 02-08-2005, 08:52 AM

There ARE Mountain Lions in Pennsylvania, at least in the Allegheny National Forest region in Warren County. You can keep a closed mind on this if you like still but i have seen movies and heard countless eyewitness accounts of sightings all over the county. Also this past summer a PAGC officer saw and videotaped a mountain lion in warren, although nothing else was ever said about it. It was in our newspaper and that was it. Just because the government says something is true does not mean it is. It sounds silly but i myself have even had a close encounter while camping. Basically we heard a large cat growl or caterwaul it is called, but i know what i heard.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My mind is open to EVIDENCE but all there is is CLAIMS! When someone claims that something exists, the burden of proof lies with them.

Quick Reply: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.