Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Guys Who Shoot 5 Doe >

Guys Who Shoot 5 Doe

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Guys Who Shoot 5 Doe

Old 01-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Default RE: Guys Who Shoot 5 Doe

So far this year i have shot 3 deer and my father has shot 3.. we always send 1-2 deer to an older couple in PA who dont hunt anymore..they both used to hunt but now they are older n problems getting around...we have 2 friends who dont hunt and they love venison so we usually give them a deer or 2 ...this year we gave them 2..then we take meat to be made into summer sausage and jerky...and plus me and my brother polish off the supply pretty well ourselves as well as my parents...now i have a teacher who wants some chopmeat...when i first started i thought the same thing...what the heck are we gonna do with all this then some goes to this one and that one then you look into the freezer and its mostly gone...only one way to solve that problem..hit the woods..
Old 01-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

We wife kids and I Never buy meat from a store.We even raise chickens to eat :}

As I stated me and wife killed 7 deer and 3 elk togethere. All will be eaten as stake bugger or jerky.At the begining of next seasion I normaly have VERY few packs of meat left. We vacume pack all the meat so we have no loss to freezer burn.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Heck I shot 5 so far this year & bet we already ate 3 of them. We use it to make everything, sausage, chili, steaks, roasts, stew, meatballs, meatloaf, venson burger helper, taco's you name it. I usually have some of last years meat when the season opens in Sept but only cuz I start hoarding it as my supply dwindles.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 PM

1 Deer usually lasts about 3 months in my house. Wife, myself and my 4yo will eat it every night. Typically every Sunday I have Chilli so the burg goes quick. Usually 2lbs in the crockpot. ( Leverdude)I try to save a package or two for Sept or Oct just before the new season starts. Always have a venison stew and some buddies over the Fri night of opening weekend of gun season. Didn't try to hard this year as last summer we raised a pig and my upright was full of pork. Mistake of the year come to find out besides the bacon me and the wife are the only ones who really like pork. Back to hunting hard in '05. Hitting Jersey this weekend and the last of the month. Pressures on since I didn't score in '04. I do have 4 or 5 packages of venison in the freezer from a friend who called me at 6pm on a Sunday 1/2 way across the State to drag a 185lb boy out of the swamp/woods he arowed. After 2 hrs of dragging and an hour trying to find it I figured a little venison was worth my efforts. Especially seeing how he arrowed 1 in NH and shot 4 at his folks place in NY.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

3 or 4 deer is what I like to get. I have a wife a daughter and 3 sons who all eat it! I also have 2 sisters with thier husbands and kids that don't hunt but like the meat. My dad is usually good for 1 or 2 a year and I try to take 3 or 4. Between the 2 of us we usually get enough to keep everyone happy! So far this year we each got 2 and I'm already out of steaks! I hope to get out a few more times and wack 1 or 2 more. All steaks out of the next one! Thin steaks that take about 30 seconds to cook in butter and garlic salt! I went out today in this crazy Jersey weather. What a mess. Trees falling everywhere! So much noise a dump truck could sneak through without being heard! lol I saw 10 doe's and 1 small buck but none close enough for a shot! I still have the rest of Jan. and the first 2 weeks of Feb to bag another doe or 2.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of the hogs. I took 6 so far this year. I gave the last one to a friend, but my 3 teenage boy and my wife will have no problem finishing off the 5 I kept by the time next season rolls around. I may add one more to the freezer before season's end if there's room . . . of if the big buck I'm after shows up!
Old 01-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 will fill my freezer and keep me going for a year but me and my 2 brothers share it.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM

So far this season I've gotten two doe. This will last my husband and I a couple of months as we use about 1 lb. every couple of days. My younger brother also got two does this year - he is married and has a 10 yr. old son. They make a lot of chili and Italian dishes with meat sauce. My older brother got 8 doe. He is married and has three daughters. They only eat venison - they don't buy beef unless they go out to eat or they run out lof venison later in the year. All of us give some to our parents and pass a few lbs. to other family members and friends. Believe me, it does not go to waste.
I still have my buck tag left and one doe tag for the special regs. area. I hope the weather cooperates for this last week so i can go out again. Then it's a long wait until archery season again...
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 PM

i know what u mean. i shot a doe, and we got a roadkill, and our freezer is full. in fact, my dad said that if i tried to fill his doe tag, he would give the doe away to our hunting buddies
Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 PM

If you shoot it...eat it!

As long as you're not wasting the meat and you're not hurting the deer heard by taking too many does. Shoot a doe this year and that's potentially 12 less deer three years later. I'm not against shooting does, I shot one this year. My family went through some hard times when I was a lad and I recall one winter trapping rabbits for food. For some people out there, putting food on the table is what's first and completely understandable.

Quick Reply: Guys Who Shoot 5 Doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.