Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success? >

What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What PA Residents Have Had Small Game Success?

That is because of farm and woodlot practices. Buy a chainsaw see more game, I gurantee. Most woods looks like a city park. Great for squirrels. Bad for upland game birds and bunnies. Also, ask an farm how many rabbits they find dead after they blast the fields with fertilzer in the spring when rabbits are whelping. I see it while shooting g-hogs in the spring. Take time and look around.
Yea, I had heard that before. The fertilizer also softens the pheasant eggs making it impossible for them to hatch. Add to this the fact that our forests don't seem to burn anymore and it's no wonder small game has taken a dump here. Not to turn this into an Alt bashing thread, but forest undergrowth decimation was attributed to the "out of control deer population".

I also look around at all the firetowers on the mountains in PA and wonder when the last time any of them were really used for anything ther than cellphone antennaes. My father said the mountains or portions of them used to burn yearly in the 40's and 50's. Seems the forest is just evolving to me.

Fritz
Old 01-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Yes, it's call forrest sucession. What PA hunter need to do instead of complain about lack of game is to complain about helping the state manage the land. Up north they call it boreal forests. Must be a old indian name for no game.
ORIGINAL: mrfritz44

That is because of farm and woodlot practices. Buy a chainsaw see more game, I gurantee. Most woods looks like a city park. Great for squirrels. Bad for upland game birds and bunnies. Also, ask an farm how many rabbits they find dead after they blast the fields with fertilzer in the spring when rabbits are whelping. I see it while shooting g-hogs in the spring. Take time and look around.
Yea, I had heard that before. The fertilizer also softens the pheasant eggs making it impossible for them to hatch. Add to this the fact that our forests don't seem to burn anymore and it's no wonder small game has taken a dump here. Not to turn this into an Alt bashing thread, but forest undergrowth decimation was attributed to the "out of control deer population".

I also look around at all the firetowers on the mountains in PA and wonder when the last time any of them were really used for anything ther than cellphone antennaes. My father said the mountains or portions of them used to burn yearly in the 40's and 50's. Seems the forest is just evolving to me.

Fritz
Old 01-09-2005, 05:53 PM

in ne pa i have not had much luck in small game other than yotes
i c plenty of them
Old 01-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea small game was slow around here , few rabbit and grouse , but we shot alot last year