Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 attracting bears any ideas?? >

attracting bears any ideas??

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

attracting bears any ideas??

Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Default attracting bears any ideas??

I am looking to hunt bears just wondering if any body has some ideas on attracting them.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:59 PM

Default RE: attracting bears any ideas??

Some states allow baiting. One-way IV seen on TV is to get a 55 gal drum. Get a couple fish and put the fish in the drum. Then put large branches or logs in the drum; so the bear has to work at it a little. Check on your progress. Bird feeders work just as well.

If your state doesn’t allow baiting Like NY, then I would like to know how to attract bears also.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Careful if your hunting PA, we cant even use scent for bears here!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:48 AM

One trick I learned while setting up bear baits in Alaska was to collect grease from restaurants. The grease from a deep fat fryer is best. You need 5-10 gallons to be efficient. We'd set-up the standard 55 Gal. drum with dry dog food, old donuts, and fish/meat scraps. Pour some of the grease over the bait and all around the ground in front of the bait bucket. Any critter that comes into the bait can will get grease on its feet. When it leaves the bait site it establishes a handy scent trail through the woods for all critters to scent and come to your bait. Otherwise you're dependent on wind current for bairs to find your bait... I've heard, but never tried, beaver carcasses are suppose to be like bear candy??. Keep your baits small, if you throw big chunks of meat scraps in the bucket a bear will come in grab the bait and run off. You want the bear to hang around so you can size him up and take a relaxed controlled shot. That's why we always use the dry dog food kibble.
Good Luck....
Jim B.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
jbc

www.bearscents.com
Old 12-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Dirty diapers seem to be very popular with the bears that come visit my house! A bucket full of them would work for sure! LOL!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:53 PM

bacon burn!!! gather bacon grease and then light it... the aroma brings em in for miles.......
Old 01-03-2005, 05:36 AM

Douglas...
Hi there. I have been guiding for bears for many years and have been responsible for more than a few rugs that I'm sure adorn many walls from coast to coast. Over the years, the method that we have developed, we have worked out to a science. First, pick a site. If your baiting, any site will do. You don't need to scout for these things, they will come to you. The only thing that is important is that you need to establish your bait site lets say within a half mile of water. That is truely the only guideline that should be followed. Second, lets go over what to bait with. Everyone seems to have something to say about this subject, and I have tried just about all of them. As far as i'm concerned, nothing works like a good olde fashion jelly donut. That's what I feed them. You will also need some fryolator greese, and a milk crate full of "stink bait" per bait site. You can use any kind of meat or fish for the stink bait...the raunchier the better. And last but not least, what you do with all this stuff. I prefer the "crib" set up. Build a crib up against a tree with the front facing where your stand will be. This forces the bear to give you ample shot opportunities. Second, wire a 5 gallon bucket to the tree at the front of the crib. Leave about 3 feet of extra wire so the bucket can be tossed around a bit or you are gonna go through alot of them. Next, fill the 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full of donuts. Then, take a milk crate and stuff it over the top of the 5 gallon bucket and push it all the way down. Don't worry if it is tight....they will get it off. The crate also keeps the coons and everything else out of the bait and when you start checking the bait you can tell from a distance if it was hit or not. Also, you don't need to wire the crate. For some reason, they don't realy steel them. Next, wire a 5 gallon bucket or a milk crate in a nearby tree. Place this bucket as high as you can reach..about 6.5 feet high. Fill this bucket 1/3 full of donuts. Next, wire a milk crate full of "stink bait" in a third tree, as high as you can reach, about 10 yards away. Finaly, take your two 5 gallon buckets of fryolator greese and pour one at the opening of your crib, and splash the other one all over the tree and ground where you wired the bucket with donuts in it up high. All set!!! Check it in about a week and once they start hitting it, feed them about a half to 2/3 of a bucket of donuts a day. The benefits of this method of baiting are way to numerous to sit here and describe...there is a reason for every little thing I wrote here. Don't skip a step. For instance, it is virtualy impossible to pull a track off a bear bait...they mat down the whole area. This is why you put the bucket in the tree. If there are no claw marks on the tree after the bait is getting hit regular....you have a big boar on it that is just standing up and eating out of it. If there aRE CLAWW MARKS GOING RIGHT UP TO THE BUCKET, YOU HAVE A SOW AND CUBS. If you have claw marks going up a foot or two, you have a medium size bear. Anyhow, I wrote enough....good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save your bacon greese in a canning jar. When you are scounting areas where bear travel, pour some bacon greese on tree stumps. Spread it around within a 40 to 50 yard area. Refresh the greese each time you visit the area. This should lure a few to the area. Make sure this is legal in your state. Many states will consider this baiting and the guys in the green suits will be looking for you opening day
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM

dunkin donuts you cant beat it get the ones they trow away.they will save them for you tell them youre feeding pigs incase they are treehuggers you will have lots of bears to choose from if you bait early WILL NOT FAIL THIS IS LEAGAL IN NH WHERE I BEAR HUNT

Quick Reply: attracting bears any ideas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.