Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Does anybody hunt Allegany County NY?

Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 AM

Default RE: Does anybody hunt Allegany County NY?

Thanks John,

I probably worked with your dad at one time or another. I used to work the "So. Tier Regional Drug Task Force" (hard to say in one breath) who's offices were in Olean. A couple of bad accidents (wrong place at the wrong time) caused me to retire. So now I spend most of my time casting/reloading, shooting & hunting. Kind of hard to get around in the woods sometimes, but I manage (not as quietly, I guess).

I was the firearms instructor for my dept. for the past 16 yrs, and the sniper/observer on our ERT team. I was lucky in that I was able to attend FBI courses for both.....they were great.
I was very fortunate to be able to gain the shooting edge as part of my employment and I loved every minute of it.
Besides........FREE AMMO!

amayerican,

I'm with you on the style of hunting you mentioned. I hunt with handguns exclusively and do the same thing as well. I crawl into a swamp stand that's miserable to access for most, and other hunters stay out naturally.....but the deer love it.
Most game love it out there. I climb up in the stand 1/2 hr. before sunup and when the blasting starts, I just wait for the action. Most deer aren't spooked at all......just trying to get out of the area and head out to the swamp for refuge.......AND ME!

Take care,
Bob
Old 12-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Mid-Vermont

Don't you know NY is fighting it out with CA for the top Taxed State in the nation,. Save your money and find another state to hunt in! Sure we kill lot's of deer here but the Big boys are few and far. I have 100+ acres and have hunted here for 30 years and have shot only one wall hanger. It used to be darn good but since the farmers went out of business and sold there land to the city folks it's gone down hill. The DEC hands out Doe Permits like candy and the weekend warriers from Rochester and Buffalo come down and shoot anything that moves. It sounds like a Bad day in Baghdad here the first week of season.

Go to Maine or PA if you want Big Bucks! Just my two cents worth!

whiff
ORIGINAL: Mid-Vermont

I am brand new to this message board. I have read many of the posts and can tell that the contributors to this board are very dedicated, knowledgeable and hardcore.
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you New York hunters can help me out with. I am currently considering buying a parcel of land in Alleganey County. It is about 100+/- acres that are 2/3 wooded and 1/3 open meadow. The property looks very appealing but I have no experience hunting in that region of New york state. Are there many (any?) mature bucks in this county? Is the county overhunted? I know from the stats that this county produces a high number of deer but also there is quite a large "army" of hunters who pound the woods there shooting many, many 1-1/2 year old bucks. Does anybody know of any QDM efforts being looked at for this region of NY (similar to what PA is doing)? Any replies would be helpful........Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 06:59 AM

Boy don't I know about the taxes.
But do you know any body in PA their tax is as bad or worse.
I have a good friend that has 3/4 acre & a house trailer
tax is over $1000.00 + they get 1% of gross wages an I don't remember what else. But there is 2 or 3 other taxes.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastfire

Boy don't I know about the taxes.
But do you know any body in PA their tax is as bad or worse.
I have a good friend that has 3/4 acre & a house trailer
tax is over $1000.00 + they get 1% of gross wages an I don't remember what else. But there is 2 or 3 other taxes.
It all depends on where you live. I also have a friend who owns a patch of property I hunt in PA that is almost exactly 100 acres, and he pays $3000 a year with a 1100 sq ft house on it. You can also buy land in PA for around $1500 per acre or less in many areas.......believe it or not most everything between philly and pitt is very low cost of living.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Thanks to everybody for their input. If I do buy any land down that way I'll be sure to be a good neighbor. It's the same here in Vermont. If you're considerate of posted property and ask for permission to hunt, unless the owner has an army of hunters hunting the land already, you'll most likely be given permission. Most landowners just want to know who is on their property.