Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR? >

NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

Old 12-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

NJ hunters, what are your opinions on allowing the the shotgun season and unlimited antlerless season to go on as far as mid Febuary?

When NJ started this I was for it 100% cause there was just too many deer, but after a few years dont you think enough is enough? How long can the deer herd take it? I mean they are bein hunted 6 months out of the year. Last year my friend was asking me all the time to hunt zone 8 with him, so I went in January I had a few deer under me, if they hit the 60/70lbs range thats big, I let them all walk. If it was up to me I would stop all firearm hunting by the end of the year.

Statewide during the 6 day shotgun season would be 1 buck only with 3 points to aside

Permit Shotgun would be various days per zone with antlerless deer only...1 deer per day
but not more then 3 total No matter how many different Permit zones you have

Youth Shotgun would stay the same

Muzzleloader various days per zone, only 1 buck 3 points to aside, up too but not more then 3 antlerless deer....1 deer taken per day No matter how many Permit zones you have

Regular Bow 1 buck with 3 points per side, 3 antlerless deer...1 deer taken per day

Permit Bow same as Regualr bow

Winter Bow Same as the Regular & Permit Bow season

This is just a rough draft I thought of real quick, I'm sure some you guys have your own thoughts on this subject.

New Jersey can produce some outstanding bucks if we follow the lead of those big buck states like Iowa, & Illinois
Old 12-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

I think if they did away with Deer Drives on public land would be enough along with the 3pt buck restrictions.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

I agree completely!!! I hunt zone #2 which has a moderately liberal amount of any deer days. If you allowed only one buck per season/permit you could still legally kill 6 bucks. That's more than enough. I wish zone #2 would implement QDM.
I wonder how many 1.5 yr. old bucks are getting killed in Jan./Feb. that dropped their antlers? I will say this though, several years ago we were shooting our bucks during the 6 day firearm season and the weights were between 90-110 lbs. for a 1.5 yr. old deer. With the increase in doe harvest I've noticed weights this year seemed to be heavier. Upwards of 120 lbs. and more for the same age class of deer. I think they should revamp the earn a buck system. If a guy shoots 3 doe in early bow season he shouldn't be required to shoot another doe for extended bow and muzzleloader.
Jim B.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:19 AM
jbc

What we are seeing now is deer herds coming under control from the days of 100+ deer per square mile. Not great for hunters but it's best for the deer and the environment. Remember, we are conservationists first.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM

I think if they did away with Deer Drives on public land would be enough along with the 3pt buck restrictions

exactly .....had a guy last yr show me a pic from his gun club and it was 15 does & 5 buttons lined up in a row. Made me ill [:'(]
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: jbc

What we are seeing now is deer herds coming under control from the days of 100+ deer per square mile. Not great for hunters but it's best for the deer and the environment. Remember, we are conservationists first.
If they're under control now, is such a long season still necessary??
Jim B.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

We dont need the longer season anymore, but as we all know all to well this state loves the $$$$$$$
Old 12-23-2004, 09:19 AM

With all the money they're raking in they should, at the very least, allow us to bowhunt on Sundays.
Jim B.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 100% for Sunday Hunting
Old 12-23-2004, 09:30 AM

What I would really like to see is zones made smaller and micro managed. I'd like to see a lottery for certain units with a limited number of buck permits. Youth hunts should remain the same. I'd also like to see the buck tags issued be eligible for any season/weapon and if you kill a male deer (button buck) that counts as your buck. While I'm at it how come we don't have a lifetime license??? The state could get their precious revenue up front!
Jim B.

Quick Reply: NJ HUNTERS: WHO FEELS THAT THE EXTENDED SHOTGUN/UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HUNT GONE TOO FAR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.