Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Alt Don't let the door hit you in the........... >

Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

Old 01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

BM I've always said I couldn't care less what you do to the doe population in WMUs I don't own property in. kill them all it is of no interest to me. But don't try telling me that the HR wasn't taken too far here in 3A and Alt knows what he's doing (or was doing) and not cutting back harder on doe tags. 6DSM is what much of 3A has NOW that is fact produced by AP,LTD a timber company in the area. Yet the doe tags remain near 20,000 in this small WMU.
Kill every last doe down your way what interest is it of mine?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 PM

ulysses,

I have been saying that since you are seeing less doe, do whatever it takes to get the problem fixed! I have been saying that for awhile now. I don't know what the herd is like out in your area, but from what you and others have said, passing does sounds like a good idea, but if it is that bad, it can't stop there. You guys need to get a good game plan together instead of acting out of anger and actually try to have the situation addressed.

With Dr. Gary Alt's retirement, we can start a new chapter of deer management in PA, but it is up to all the hunters in the state to voice their opinions about the areas they hunt, that was the PGC understands what needs done and where it needs done!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

according to some posters on this forum the only side of the deer management issue they want heard is PRO Altism/ PGC with continued HR. Try to get anyother side of the issue banned.

As for taking matters on by ourselves..I don't know what is going on where you hunt I never cared but up here in 3A we now have taken on the PGC and posted nearly 4000 acres at this time against deer hunting. This move was forced on us as a byproduct of HR. 90% of tis 4000 acres was NEVER posted that I know of and I go back nearly 70 yrs...who do you think is the looser here??? Not us we can still hunt here, but the hunters that now either move to another overcrowded area ( you want to volunteer your land for their use?), or quit hunting deer altogether This posting they can thank the PGC for not us.
I've said it often Altism HR has done more to hurt hunting than any anti hunting org in the past 3 yrs
Old 01-03-2005, 07:16 PM

ulysses,

I would suggest getting all the guys that you can together and go to the PGC meeting, get petitions started, and do everything that you guys can. I will say in all honesty, I wish you guys the best of luck! As far as offering property, they can hunt the property that I hunt anytime they want. All they have to do is ask the land-owners with the exception of one guy who refuses to allow anyone except my family and friends, and like I said, that is his decision. Heck, the rest of the property that I hunt is entirely open to hunters. It is private land, but there are no posted signs and all you have to do is ask permission. Even my own property isn't posted. It isn't much land, but it is one of the best chunks around here as it is a small funnel that has a huge piece of brush at the one end (major bedding area), and the other end is a large chunk of woods. One one side of the funnel is a large corn-field and the other is my back-yard! All this property is open to hunters as long as they ask permission.

There are alot of guys on here, most actually, that agree that the WMU's need to be managed differntly so that the herd reductions stop in areas like yours, but continue in other areas. This year has nocked the heard down in my area and I don't want want to see another 56,000 tags handed out in this WMU like the case two years ago, which could be why the tags were cut in half for this year! What alot of guys say is that Alt started something that needed to be done. On a overall scale, the herd in PA needed to be knocked down and Alt started that. Did he take it too far? Yes, in certain areas, and he didn't take it far enough in others! I know that there were areas around here that were easily 100 deer per square mile in certain areas and the herd needed reduced there, but they still aren't low enough, the only problem is that if the PGC looks at this area and says "we need to lower herd numbers in this WMU", the rest of the area which was getting to a good number is going to be knocked way to low.

I think it would be great if there was a system where hunters could report how many deer they saw in a certain area (not WMU, more detailed than that).
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

I think it would be great if the PGC did what they said would happen when DD goals were met and make a cutback in doe tags. Why haven't they done this...oh they made a minor cut but way short of what needed to be done.
I think they don't want to loose the $$
another lie we were told by Alt & the PGC