Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NJ Firearms ID Card Blues >

NJ Firearms ID Card Blues

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ Firearms ID Card Blues

Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 PM

Default NJ Firearms ID Card Blues

I went to the local police station and applied in September. I received a phone call late October... they messed up my finger prints. I had to go back and get them redone. Well... I did that... and now?

Well... its now late December... nothing in the mail yet. I am preparing to purchase a muzzleloader soon.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: NJ Firearms ID Card Blues

Welcome to the great state of NJ and all of its buraucratic bullsh*t.
I can't understand why, if there's a Fed. background check why is there a need for a firearms I.D. card.
I hunt on a ranch in Wyoming and the only place your not allowed to go with a loaded firearm on your hip is a bar!!!
It's perfectly legal to drive around with a loaded pistol sitting on your dashboard.
I wonder how many carjackings happen out there!
The only good thing about NJ is that there is plenty of money to be made here, so here I stay until I have enough to get out.
Jim B.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM

The problem is with the police dept. I live 2 towns over in Roxbury. I got my FID in a months time when i turned 18, and I got my pistol permit over the summer in 5 days. I guess it all depends how the dept goes about the process and the man power to process it. Give them a call and find out whats happening. You may want to read the guidlines written by the state police because i may be wrong but i have always believed there is a law stating that police deptartments must issure permits and FID's in a given amount of time.

EDIT: i found this on the NRA website http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ

I found this especially interesting..... The Permit to Purchase or FID shall be granted to a qualified applicant within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents and 45 days for nonresident applicants.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 AM

Thanks. I'll give the Jefferson Township Police Dept. a call. The police dept. has been very friendly, cooperative, and nice thus far.

Now if they only let me utilize their range
Old 12-20-2004, 07:35 AM
jbc

Keep calling them. By law they are supposed to take no more than 30 days but most police departments ignore the law.

If you really want a muzzleloader quicker, cross the border to PA and buy one over the counter. Perfectly legal.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:50 AM

Nope. Cannot do that. In PA you need a PA driver's license. However, I guess I could give my dad (PA resident) the cash and have him go buy it, no?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

15 years ago it took 9 months to get mine. something about they have to wait for a check from the state police. at least thats what i was told.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 AM

However, I guess I could give my dad (PA resident) the cash and have him go buy it, no?
You could , but that wouldnt be "totally" legal. The courses for the rifle permit ( yes , you need to take a course ) dont start till spring anyway. So if you can get the local police department to step it up a notch , you'll have plenty of time to buy , take the course & pratice before the season starts next year. Even if you could buy one now , there is no course to make you "legal" till spring.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:39 PM
jbc

ORIGINAL: dragthor

Nope. Cannot do that. In PA you need a PA driver's license. However, I guess I could give my dad (PA resident) the cash and have him go buy it, no?
Not for muzzleloaders. Any proof that you are over 18 is all that's required. Out of state drivers licenses are fine.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dragthor

Hmmm. I bought my ML last year in NY (definately more regulated than PA) and all they wanted to see was that I was old enough and that my credit card was good. The ID didn't have to be a NY license. Maybe PA is different but I would guess that a valid ID anywhere would be good enough. If not, there is always Cabelas online.

Quick Reply: NJ Firearms ID Card Blues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.