Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 public land in southern tier? >

public land in southern tier?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

public land in southern tier?

Old 12-16-2004, 05:30 PM

Default public land in southern tier?

Where is good public land in the southern tier of new york? If you know a good city that would help alot.(with county) Thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default RE: public land in southern tier?

where about?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Spike

Stewart airport in orange county NY. I heard from a dec officer that the buck harvist on there land is 10 bucks per sq mile.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...s/region7.html
Old 12-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Allagany Park is right on the PA/NY border in NY....I can't remember if it's in Cattaragus or Chataqua County though. Look for Onoville and go a little West on a map. The Allegany Nation Forest is right across the border in PA comprising of 513,000 acres of huntable wilderness if you're interested in that.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Spike

I have never seen a harvest of 10 in print. 5-7 in some areas but certainly not this past season. Many areas of the Allegany region have experienced winter kill the past 2 years, increased predation by coyote/bear and big hunter harvests. I hunt all through that region and the last 2 years have been slow, compared to previous 6 or 7 years. Lots of good land to hunt but keep your expectations in check.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:54 AM
jf5

I am looking to hunt NY next year as well. Would you say these public lands are worth driving 5-9 hours to hunt?? I have hunted the ANF on the PA side. It had alot of deer, but also a real high number of hunters. I talked to other NY folks about the eastern end of the S. Tier, and they say the gun season on public lands is crazy with guys.

Is that really the case??
Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Erwin WMA just outside Corning (Steuben County) is pretty good. I have done alot of bowhunting there. However, it's only about 2600 acres (I believe) and it does get crowded durning gun season. I usually avoid it then.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Spike

Bowhunting is good on most state land in NY. Opening week of shotgun and weekends gets hit hard in WNY (Allegany region) and deer get pushed onto posted land that is not hunted and they do not leave. I live in WNY and go to the Finger Lakes for the gun opener. I actually have friends from MA that hunt with me and they are like kids in the candy store with the number of deer they see versus in MA. I would recommend that region over the Allegany. Lots of good state land with big acreage near Binghamton, Cortland, Ithaca, Watkins Glen etc. Nice country also - more like Adirondacks but with farms mixed in.

The ANF in PA has been shot out from Bradford to Warren. Not worth the cost/time to hunt that land. PA herd reduction strategy has worked great. You can expect to see in a week what you used to see in 1/2 day and that is no bull. There are still deer and nice bucks in the ANF, but it has really changed. Not a complaint, just a reality.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:51 PM
jf5

[quote]ORIGINAL: Newtown

I actually have friends from MA that hunt with me and they are like kids in the candy store with the number of deer they see versus in MA.

Thats the feeling I am looking for. I hunted MA hard this year for 8 days. Sightings...zero. I got pricvacy though, and thats cool. Just want to get into some animals next year, and its tough to get to central/west NY from eastern MA to scout out lands regularly. I am trying to avoid the land lease.

Thanks for the tips guys. Good luck out there.

Quick Reply: public land in southern tier?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.