Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer... >

Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

Old 12-16-2004, 04:39 AM

Default RE: Pittsburgh suburb gets OK for sharpshooting deer...

I believe that I heard on the news that they were going to hunt them at night over a bait pile. That really isn't hunting to me. That is... I can't think of the word, but it ain't hunting.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Execution is the best word I can think of. It's not hunting at that point. It's pest control, period.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The steadily increasing number of deer-vehicle collisions along Route 19 coupled with a modest area
specific success of the archery program in Boyce-Mayview indicate a need for stronger deer control
mechanisms than have been previously employed
The WMAS has been conducting controlled archery hunts on the Boyce-Mayview property since 1998.
In 2003, the WMAS archery season resulted in a total harvest of 34 deer. Of these, 28 were antlerless and 6 were antlered.
The Township continues to see a high number of deer-vehicle collisions despite the controlled archery
program at Boyce-Mayview. The limited impact of the archery program may be attributed to the fact
that approximately three-quarters of the Township cannot easily avail of the archery culling approach
adopted at Boyce-Mayview.
These snippits clearly state that they tried the archery approach and it didn't work. Being a residential area with an extreme overpopulation, I would much rather have skilled shooters handle the situation. This should not be considered hunting. It is considered deer culling. Much like exterminators do with rodents, they will be doing with deer. However, the deer meat will be donated to charity. This will feed many of homeless and needy families and hopefully reduce the herd to a managable level, and it's not like they are just getting shot and let lay in the woods.

Before you jump on the wagon and say that it is wrong, read the document and see what research they have done regarding the population and their mitigation attempts.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

though I don't like to see it happen it is none the less going to. I as a hunter ,an archer primarily, was one that read the reports and screamed for archery access to begin with. My question is why did the archers fail so miserably when given their chance to prove how they could be a true allie to the PGC in controling deer numbers/ why were even 6 buck killed, were those 6 shooters "holding out" for a buck? hoping to score on a mega suburbia mossback/ this horn menatality has smeared all hunters archers particularly.
we can only pray that this sharpshooter/elimination tactic is not going to become a trend .
Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a pest control setting ANY dead deer is a good deer, buck or doe.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

NH had this same type of problem on a 1 sq mile island in Lake Winnipesauke. The solution there was a sharpshooter took I think 98 deer, then controlled archery hunts maintain the herd at reasonable levels.

It has worked out fine up there. Hunters have some limitations put on them, but it works fine.

--Bob