Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Jersey's 6 day shotgun hunt results >

New Jersey's 6 day shotgun hunt results

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey's 6 day shotgun hunt results

Old 12-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Jersey's 6 day shotgun hunt results

Hunted all day Monday in the bad weather and saw 3 small bucks (spike, one horn and tiny 4pt) but was not even offered a good shot at any. Had 12 does during the day. Our club took 2 6's, 4pt and 3pt.

Wed: Someone shot a really small 4pt.

Sat: hunted the PM and saw 9 does. We took a real nioce 8pt that dressed 165 lb on the state scale. Came onto our place from a deer. My Dad missed a 4pt. Another guy saw 25 does.

Total shotgun take: 6 bucks
Total ML: 4 bucks
Bow: 2 bucks

I personally passed a lot of dinkers during bow and never had an opportunity during the gun season. With the wet weather and severe flooding, I am sure that the deer changed their travel a little. Also, there were not a ton of guys on the adjacent property.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:43 PM

Total shotgun take: 7 bucks
Total ML: 2 bucks
Where did the seventh buck come from????????? Typical finance guy...
It ain't over yet, but the fat lady sure is warming up... Man I am really feeling the post season blues!!!
Jim B.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The rules are simple your allowed 2 bucks during the 6 day shotgun season. But for me I would like that to change, only 1 buck allowed.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 AM

Zone 41

Monday - a dozen or so doe a couple of corn fields over from me. One doe at 75 yards.
Weds - 15 or so doe... 4 ran passed me (too far to shoot).. ten minutes later a bagged one in a group of three. A couple of hours later another 15 doe went passed me... too far to shoot.
Sat - saw deer all throughout the day... mostly does. However, I did see 4 bucks...no shot. (A nice (at least) an 8, a dinker, a thick spick, and another racked buck (cound not tell how many pts)).

Wed, Thrus, and Friday... I am hunting zone 6 permit shotgun.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:05 AM

Total shotgun take: 6 bucks
Total ML: 2 bucks
Man, how big is that property?? In my area, we average about 2 bucks per square mile, and only 8 or 9 deer per sqaure mile harvested. You must have a few miles of land, or a whole lot of deer.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 AM

I have no idea how big the actual property is... its my first year hunting it. My mom went to high school with the farmer's wife. He farms land in zones 14 and 41 (where I was).

Anyway... the spot he put me in... is about 1/2 mile from Washington Crossing state park.... I can see Bear Tavern Rd from my tree. If you drive down Bear Tavern... on the left is a horse farm... you can see my orange hat in a tree in the first hedge row.

There are corn, wheat, and soybeans fields w/hedge rows all over the place. The farmer hates the deer. Also, there are horse farms around.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM

The farmer hates the deer

Can I come hunt the deer the farmer hates ? I aint seen hardly nuttin but tracks all week !
Old 12-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted all 6 days. Seen alot of does. 33 on Monday. Seen one small buck Monday morning. He had a twisted spike on the right and a small brow tine and horn that went up and straight out to the left and made a curve inward at the tip. Very odd set of bones. He was also a limper with a baseball size knot on his right leg just below the shoulder. Probably made from an arrow. He hobbled right under my stand. I was thinking about administering a mercy killing, but decided to let him go and let mother nature run its course. That was the only buck I seen all week. My buddy got a real nice 8 on Monday and my Dad got a basket rack 5 point Saturday morning. Tuesday morning, my Dad seen 5 bucks together!!! But wouldn't you know it, they were too far for a shot. He said one was a real dandy. As far as we know, he is still out there. Didn't get a buck this year (got a 6 and real nice 10 pointer last year) but still had a great time hunting with my Dad who is 74 years young and loves to deer hunt. I'll be going back up with the muzzleloader to try and fill the freezer.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Spike

I let 3 scrubs walk. A spike, a 3 pt, and a tiny basket 5 pt. Hopefully, they will make it through the next two months. What bothers me the most is the lack of mature does. I saw a bunch of young doe and a few buttons.

I am not going to hunt the ML season until it quiets down some. Maybe the mature deer will show up. I know they are there. I agree with the BOWHUNTERCOP on the one buck limit. NJ has so much potential for impressive bucks if they are left to grow another year or two.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:46 PM

NJ has AR zones.... like the one I hunt near my house... zone 6. I let a few dinkers walk during bow.

Quick Reply: New Jersey's 6 day shotgun hunt results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.