Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals >

NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Old 12-10-2004, 09:17 AM

Default NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Folks,
If anyone is interested, this is what NY Bowhunters has to say about the "PROPOSED" 2005 regs changes for us Bowhunters!
CURRENT NEWS

Updated 12/06/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYB,
By now most of you have heard of the NYS DEC's radical plan to restructure our southern zone big game hunting seasons.
The DEC is proposing to open the southern zone archery only season on the first Saturday in October to run for two weeks, then close archery season for one week. During that week they will open an antlerless only muzzle loader season for 7 days. After 7 days they propose to re-open the archery-only season and run it until the third Friday in November. They propose to open the regular firearms season on the third Saturday in November and run it for 23 days.

This proposal is absolutely unacceptable to bowhunters. NYB will not sit back and allow the NYS DEC to ruin New York's archery-only season. Over the last few days I have been engaged in high level conversations with the DEC Wild Life Unit Manager, the President of the New York State Conservation Council, and with leaders in the New York State Legislature. I have told them all that the proposal is unacceptable. I've committed NYB to a vigorous opposition.

NYB never points out a problem without offering a solution. NYB has proposed an alternate season restructuring proposal that will meet everyone's needs and desires. This is what we have proposed;

1.) Open the southern zone archery-only season on 10-1 and run it through the Friday before Thanksgiving.
2.) Open a one week muzzle loader season on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
3.) Open the Regular firearms season on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

We have also offered a second alternative; Maintain the status quo

I am working closely with the legislative committee to formulate our strategy. I am committing 100% of our energy to defeat the NYS DEC restructuring proposal. Beware that the DEC can enact their proposal (or ours) on their existing authority. However, the DEC is not omnipotent. They are accountable to the governor, the legislature, and ultimately to (we) the people.

Please spread the word among the rank and file and prepare them for our greatest challenge to date. Ask our members to tell their bowhunting friends what the NYS DEC is trying to do to bowhunters. If members know bowhunters who agree with our position but who are not already NYB members. It is time to fish or cut bait.

Kevin Armstrong, President
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Default RE: NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Give the bowhunters the early season to themselves but give muzzleloaders a longer season after shotgun without bowhunters.They have no problem after the season but want to have all the advantages.As a bowhunter and muzzleloader hunter,this seems to be the most fair way.I know I won't use the week of doe only muzzleloader season.That is total bs.If I'm out there,I want my chance at a trophy as well as the meat.They will never start shotgun after Thanksgiving.Give bowhunter all of October to hunt.Then open muzzleloader for the next 2-3 weeks before Thanksgiving and open regular season the Saturday before Thanksgiving.Fair for everyone.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Spike

I like nyb's porposal just like the northern zone,but what I dont like is that doe only crap!If I see a big buck it is going to be real hard to let him walk.I put alot of time into hunting just to have that happen to me.If they have to change it then NYB's porposal would work but I would like it to just stay the same,also I feel they give out to many doe tags in my area.Just my .02 cents
Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM

I like the Idea about the bowhunting since this is gonna be my first year bowhunting and I like the idea of opening rifle season on a saturday. But what I dont like is the muzzloading in between. I think it is gonna cut down alot on the deer for the guys who only rifle hunt. And you know all the locals and everyone else who is an unethical hunter is going to be in the woods with a rifle instead of a muzzloader. I f they are gonna do this with the muzzloading season then I think they need to have more game wardens in the woods to check for this problem. I know where me land is in 3h (cochecton) we havent seen a game warden in over 10 years there and we know of a couple of locals up there who are VERY unethical hunters. So that is my only problem with the proposal. Didnt mean to hurt any muzzloaders feelings.
Matt
Old 12-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

j bow how does one go about joininh nyb ? it sounds like an org. i'd be proud to be a part of
Old 12-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Johnl

http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/

Steve
Old 12-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love getting together with my buddies on Thanksgiving morning and gun hunting it's one of our traditions,guess we could do it with MZ too.

If I get this right they want to extend bow season and shorten shotgun season.

Will bowhunters kill enough deer to warrent this extension of what three weeks?

This organization might want to remember who buys most of the licenses sold in NYS. Which = Power.

I'm primarily a bowhunter and don't want to loose any time during the rut, but I don't know if you could get support for this from all hunters.

How long will gun season run? Will there still be a late season?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

How does he think he's going to sell the idea of giving the largest group of license buyers last chance at the deer.

I realize there are alot of people that hunt with both bow and gun but I think this idea is a pipe dream.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just checked their web site out and didn't see it listed,does anyone know how many members NYB has?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: NY Bowhunters Reply To 2005 Proposals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.