HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   For WV hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/81995-wv-hunters.html)

royak 12-09-2004 06:14 AM

For WV hunters

Hey guys how has your season been?So far this has been my worst year in the past 15 years. I did get a young doe the first week of bow season but nothing since. I hope to score during ML season and still bow hunt the last week of season. Roy

Rem1100 12-09-2004 06:42 AM

RE: For WV hunters

Roy, I saw just few enough deer to convince me great buck hunting could be ahead. Alot depends upon immediate management adjustments, but the count is way down in the Eastern panhandle of the state. I read on the States forum that statewide the count is down....how much ..I dunno. I know that future quality deer (bigger bucks) is a possibility now with less deer. We needed less deer...still do in some areas(mostly non-huntable areas).

BeltedMag 12-10-2004 07:43 PM

I have had a pretty bad year so far, only killed one, a small doe. I just havent seen the deer i have in years past. Everyone i have talked to say that there arent near the deer that there used to be. I have seen alot of buck sign though, its everywhere but cant find the bucks. I saw a 4 point the first day and that was the only buck i saw all week. Havent seen many does either, but hopefully tomorrow and muzzleloader season will be better.

Jerky 12-10-2004 07:56 PM

I hunt in Jackson County and I haven't seen many deer here either. I managed to take a nice 8 ptr. on the first Thursday of Bow season but it was the first deer I had seen and I hunted every day. I see deer out in the fields and saw them out there even during gun season. The mast isn't great around here this year either. I've talked to alot of people about this subject and they all have agreed that the deer population is down. I can't wait to see what the total deer harvest is going to be for this year.

Rem1100 12-11-2004 02:01 PM

if you go to wvdnr.gov and check out the mast report, you'll see we've been under for several years.....
the total buck kill, predict, will be 15-20% under past 5 yr average. But bigger bucks may come of this, if we do stuff right.

JoshKeller 12-11-2004 07:12 PM

I'm actually having my best year ever! I've abondoned food sources since the mast is so good this year, and am strictly hunting bedding areas.

2 bucks and a doe during bow season.
1 buck during rifle season with my bow (house got robbed and lost all my guns :()
2 does during rifle. 1 with bow, 1 shot with the new muzzleloader I bought.
and now waiting on muzzleloader :)

JONES 1969 12-23-2004 09:59 PM

Was able to get a mature doe no buck last 2 years but have saw a lot of small bucks couple nice ones better luck next year. good luck you guys!!