Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Strange

Old 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Strange

I was hunting in zone 8 in NJ today and 6 does walked by my stand at about 11am. What's strange about that you ask? The last doe to come out of the thicket had a red bandanna around it's neck!?!?!?? It was very different to say the least! I guess someone has made friends with this deer and didn't want it to get shot! Have any of you ever seen somthing like this?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Strange

there's a buck here in PA that has the same thing tied around it's neck....but i don't think it will stop some out of stater shooting it thou...........bob
Old 12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Why shouldnt a hunter take it? I would, if they want a pet deer they ought not let it roam the woods.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

yup i agree....................bob
Old 12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

not sure what ya mean bob? out of stater ?what ya talking about some one from a certian state ? speak whats on ya mind bob do ya have a state in mind
Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

well lets see....i work at wal-mart and had a guy tried to buy a resident hunting lic for PA and all the id he showed us had new york as his state of resident statis....he claimed that he had a HOUSE in PA not a home ok....according to PA regs for buying hunting lic's your driver lic states where you live in which he had a N.Y. lic....well i can show you an electric bill....just a side note to what we have to deal with just to save a dollar....but remember this is his second house that he only probily uses 5-10 weekends a year....i know this as i live in a community where 60 to 70% are N.Y. or N.J. residents and when a hoilday weekend is here it's like your in the city from where there from and run all around here on there ATV's and all that jazz....well back to my point after you know what i'm tring to get across to you....we get them up from there states and they just hunt where they want and disreguard no tresspassing signs and all and i'm sure you know what i mean....i have had a guy from N.J. one time hunting a property that i knew he didn't have permission....a group of deer was coming through the hill side and he took a shot at a deer and they run back where they had just come from and i saw the deer ha had shot at with it's intestines hanging out and dragging the ground and stopped and laid down and stayed upright....turned back around to look at this guy and he was takeing a bead on another deer that was walking between us and fired but missed it....now he was on a ridge and i was on the flat about 50 yds away....the deer had gone about 30 passed where they where between us and stopped and i took the bigger doe she ran up the hill then slid back down after she died....turned back around and he was scopeing through his rifle scope for more deer....when i turned around i saw his deer still bedded there alive and he wasn't even looking for it....douht he knew he had hit it....well a shot from me to it's head put it down for good....he came down and asked me if i had got two deer....i said no i got my doe up there and yours that you shot is down there that i put down cause of it's guts hanging out....asked him if he knew the owners of the property and where he was from....he said no and that he was from N.J.....we where just bout to get together for a drive with the guys from the farm and got down to them and he didn't know who the guy was....it's just something we go through up here all the time....last year had a guy from N.Y. that just parked on the side of the road and hunted within the safty zone of the houses in the community which has a no hunting aloud any way....well you get the idea....don't ya.........................bob
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine shot a doe a couple of years ago with an orange bow tied around it's neck. The deer was on his property and traveling with other does but it must have been raised as a pet. Putting those colorful bows on a deer sure makes them a good target.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:52 AM

i can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot someones pet deer or take any pride in the fact they did it. if the thing has a collar i consider it a domesticated animal and wouldn't think about shooting it.

please explain to me the sport involved in shooting a domesticated animal? do you really take pride in the fact that your hunting knowledge/skills offered you the opportunity to take an animal that would have probally let you pet it behind the ears if you called it over?

even if it was a huge 150+ class buck ...how could you derrive any pride at the fact you shot a collard animal, when it was hanging on your wall would you tell your friends it had a collar on it? better yet, would you be included to take the field pictures of your kill with the collar on or off?

seems to me you don't fully understand the concept of hunting or just have no respect for others.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have a feeling that I know the deer you are talking about. I usually hunt in NY, but about once or twice a year, once the NY season is over, I go to Jersey for the special permit shotgun season in Zone 8. There is a deer out there, I think we hunt in Tewksbury, that was raised as a fawn by a women in the area, but it is now a wild deer. She does still feed it out of her hand I believe though. Last year she had pictures of the deer with it's bandana on a bunch of the trees in the area.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of deer getting warning tape tangled around their neck, it looks like a bandana and lasts forever. Maybe a BS story but I heard it before.

Quick Reply: Strange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.