Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Strange

Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Strange

they're really no harder to hit than anyother deer, just need to forget the bows and ribbons and pick a spot!
I had a doe in with some veal calves behind fence a few winters back . she jumped in when there was alot of snow for the feed and when it melted she couldn't jump out. Some creep shot her in the pen at night with a spotlight. Of course the local WCO couldn't find any leads for an arrest. Everytime I saw him at the local diner I asked him about it his reply" I'm working on it". I guess he thought the 20 lbs he gained eating pie was going to help!!!!!!!! this was in what now is 3D WMU
Old 12-09-2004, 12:28 PM

When I lived in Colorado someone placed an orange vest on an elk.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go on a limb here and say not to shoot the deer. If it's traveling with other deer, it might be a pretty good decoy to lure others your way year after year.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, here in West Virginia we are not allowed to have pet deer. So, if the doe would've been a trophy buck and had walked by my stand It would more than likely have had its tenderloins marinated and grilled medium-well.

The reason I say a "trophy buck" is because I've already got a doe for the year. I'm still looking for that trophy buck with a ribbon around its neck.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Jerky

If I'm not mistaken, here in West Virginia we are not allowed to have pet deer. So, if the doe would've been a trophy buck and had walked by my stand It would more than likely have had its tenderloins marinated and grilled medium-well.

The reason I say a "trophy buck" is because I've already got a doe for the year. I'm still looking for that trophy buck with a ribbon around its neck.
so when you were taking pictures of your trophy would you leave the collar on or take it off? i think a mount would look tremendous with the collar left on ...that way you could tell everyone of your hunting expertise on a domesticated animal and show it off with pride.

why don't you just go and put a stalk on a cow, or maybe a horse if you want to shoot tame domesticated animals.

regardless of whether or not people are suppose to have deer as pets it don't change the fact that the animal is no longer wild and fair chase. if i'm not mistaken under P&Y/B&C rules of fair chase you couldn't even have it entered in the record books.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like Christmas came early for you and all you had to do was unwrap your present. But what JoeD said might be true.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM

I have to agree with jroot. A deer that someone obviously tied a bandana around its neck is a domesticated animal. How could anyone take any pride in killing a domesticated animal?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 PM

I have a story that realates to this kinda but not really. 2 years ago we used to see this button buck going around all over the place. He would come out all hours of the day and rome in the campground and all. A guy we had stay here used to work at racetrack and he had grains and stuff on his boots and it grew grass by the steps on this camper... the deer used to feed on it periodically. Well come bow season and gun season when i hit the trail going into the woods he would be waiting there for me a few times a week. He would keep like 20 yards away and follow me all the way to my treestands. I climb up and he would be there right behind me and watch me. He would take off shortly after that. Being isolated I knew he would be safe down by my piece of woods. He did eventually disapear when he went into rut. The last time i saw him being only 20 yards away and the wind blowing i could smell him. He went away and I never saw the button buck again. He wasnt a pet but i tell you one thing... he followed me deeper in the woods them several weeks then my dog ever has. Anyone have a story that realates to mine?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

It's funny I used to hunt my friends property in hawley(sp) PA. There was this doe I would see every day. She would follow me along the railroad tracks and hang out by me all day! My buddies grandfather who owned the property said it must have been someones pet at one time. He told me to shoot it but I kinda liked the old girl! I didn't shoot the one I saw with the red bandanna either! Why kill somebodys pet when there are so many other deer around? It would just give hunting another black eye!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Jroot, I'm not saying I would shoot someone's pet dog or cat. I would shoot legal game, and if that deer isn't locked up in some zoo then I would probably take him. I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to have deer as pets here in WV. But, on the other hand, if I had a deer that would come to me and eat out of my hand I probably wouldn't have the heart to shoot him. As for the pictures, I would leave it on .

Quick Reply: Strange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.