Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 It Ain't the Lack of Deer >

It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Old 12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It Ain't the Lack of Deer

Chickory

So you can spin some tale of aliens, moon beams, ESP for bucks, but the bottom line is that in the smaller herd there will be smaller harvests. It is no mystery.
Aliens and moon beams - that was classic.

You all must agree, the weather this buck season has been less than ideal. I didn't hear nearly as many people crying about a lack of deer in bow season, when the weather was right. Face it, high temps, rain, wind, etc. does not make for an ideal hunt. Nonetheless, I do think that certain areas are getting beat to death by the orange army, and the critter populations there are taking a hit.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought it was rather nice. beautiful cold to mild on the opener, no wind.
Same thing just a little warmer the 2nd day
1st saturday cold, but nice again, just a mild breeze.

Those are your 3 biggest days and they were beautiful hunting weather.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:19 PM

where I hunt the weather has been ideal. But I'm sure some want to try and blame lower harvests on the weather rather than face reality.

Last year it was snowy and windy the first day, and they said it caused a lower harvest. Now this year it was not windy and not snowy and people are saying that lowered the harvest.......???

Time to face reality guys...... it ain't the weather. It ain't moonbeams.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:34 PM

All I know is I've spent a lot of time in the woods this year and walked a lot of miles. Here's what I have seen.

3 tails
1 up close

All FOUR were ALONE!!!!

Three years ago, I would be sitting in one spot all day and see a group of 9 deer with one shooter buck in the bunch. Ten minutes later, two deer run by, a 4-point and an 8-point. Thirty minutes later, 14 doe walk by. Do you see where I'm getting at here??? The herd is being EXTERMINATED!!!! Thanks Dr. Alt
Old 12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunted hard in 2 days i saw one doe alone. 2 bear. this was in sproul forest near kettle creek. last year was similar. in the past 10 seasons its only getting worse. im in my stand from sun up till sun down. new jersey statewide muzzleoader opens the same day so now i will do that instead. no problem seeing deer there!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the percentage of does taken each year? Cardeer, once again...I agree with you 100%. We are whacking a ton of does now, many of which are being bred by bucks, some of alpha bucks. The hunter then shoots that doe, thus eliminating the genes from that buck. It has happened all along, but I think its a more prevelent now.

Yes, I feel the buck harvest will continue to dwindle. The ones killed with be nicer racks, but there will be far fewer bucks taken. Fewer surviving does with yeild fewer new bucks into the herd the following year.

Simple math.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:34 AM

Lets face it, we've been swindled. thanks dr alt [:@]