Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Nope, there aren't big bucks in PA...! >

Nope, there aren't big bucks in PA...!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Nope, there aren't big bucks in PA...!

Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nope, there aren't big bucks in PA...!

I remember the days when it was real hard to get a doe tag in most counties if you didn't know someone you were usually out of luck. You were limited to 1 deer a year no matter how you killed it. and there was plenty of unposted private land ( few if anyone complained about high deer # and carrying capacity)
Now!!! the state according to Alt is overrun with the critters, everyone is complaining about too many deer. Multiple doe tags an DMAP are easily had and there is more posted land against hunting than ever before. Bucks are no bigger today than back then and there are LESS hunters. If you want good deer hunting you need access to large privately controlled hunting grounds, usually leased by hunting clubs for access of a few whom are tired of hunting shot out public lands.
YUP!!!! that's some successful deer management program Alt sold some of you on, isn't it?
If hunters want to see more deer it is the hunters themselves whom must just stop pulling the trigger! all the doe tags i9n the world will not mean a thing if they don't get used!!!!!!!!! Buy it 'n Burn it
Old 12-07-2004, 11:27 AM

BM, How many of those deer are on public land?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am wondering the same thing as most of these guys. Who said we had no big bucks? How many of those pictures are taken on public land or even easily accessible private land? I think most people are worried about the lack of deer in specific areas, not the abudance of them on inaccessible private land.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, I knew of at least two in the area we hunt (all 5,000,000 acres of it) that everyone was looking for, so there are certainly big bucks to be had in PA, LOL. Problem is there won't be any a couple of years down the road once those two are taken because THERE ARE NO DOES LEFT TO PRODUCE THE NEXT CROP OF BIG BUCKS!

I think those are some nice pics tho BM---taken from where, Cherry Ridge?[8D]
Old 12-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I don't see any 170" P & Y monstrosities in those pictures, I do see several very nice deer. When I signed on as an Altie, those are the type of deer that I expected to see with increased frequency.

In my neck of the woods, it's working - more 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 y.o. bucks than ever. If you're waiting for PA to start loading the record books with monster bucks, you better pack a lunch.

Ulysses, I just think your expectations are unrealistic and you should consider moving to Canada or Missouri.

I don't care if you never shoot a doe, growing a buck over 4 1/2 years in the face of the kind of hunting pressure, auto traffic, and poaching that we have in PA a deer of that caliber is always going to be the exception, not the rule.

I am happy to take a 100-140 class deer every year, and I think the current regime provides an ample opportunity to do so.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are nice bucks by any standards, but, I think cardeer hit the nail on the head. Some areas produce better bucks routinely. The 600 acre family owned property I hunt is managed just for that. We routinely kill 130"+ class bucks each year. These are similar to what is being pictured here with the exception of a couple that appear in the 150 range in the pics. It takes an enormous buck to make even 150. My father killed a buck last year that was 23" wide inside and 9 points. He had 4" circ. bases and 9" tines and he scores 141 5/8" gross.

I'm not a nay sayer to the antler restrictions and am glad we have them, I just don't think its making an enormous difference on public land. I guess I'm wishing for deer like you see in the mid west. There are too many mountain deer here for that. The Ag areas produce the best bucks in this state typically.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 PM

Hey nice pics but seriously, I've seen bigger and better in my kneck of the woods before Dr. Alt's wonderful plan was even thought of. Yeah, you might be seeing bigger bucks than in years past, but you compromised by killing off 3/4 of the herd. I'm PO'd about the deer situation and I don't even have an anterless liscense this year. That must say something about the concern I have towards where this is all leading to. The herd is being exterminated and all some people care about is trophy bucks................It's all a bunch of BS. Thanks Dr. Alt and the rest of the PGC