Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 can you kill a cougar in pa >

can you kill a cougar in pa

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

can you kill a cougar in pa

Old 11-28-2004, 09:28 AM

Default can you kill a cougar in pa

if i'm hunting in pa can i kill a cougar there is no closed or open season.... so was wondering if you can or not... would make a real nice mount
Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: can you kill a cougar in pa

NO Greek.I ask a PGC officer. He said they were native to Pa. years ago and the PGC has not set a season,so they are protected. If they would of never been native in the past they would be fair game unless the PGC in print put on the regs cougars closed to hunting.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:53 PM

If you see one, shoot it! A lot of guys will chip in to pay your fine just to prove they exist in PA.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

may be illegal but i dont think id think twice.....they say there ARE NONE.....so why cant i kill it if there isnt any?!?!?! so if i saw one my trigger finger would be itchin...and id probably do it....long as i was 1000000% sure it was one......and like mike says....theres aloooooot of guys that would stick up for you....so many people say that its impossible and all that....the pgc swears there isnt any...then there are those who seen them...id lay em out flat..........and go straight to the press....i might jail myself....but id definently go down in history...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Well it might be exciting to shoot it and get publicity etc., but what good would it be if they don't let you keep it and get it mounted?
Old 11-28-2004, 09:06 PM

well where i am hunting in the poconos they have been seen all over well if i shot one should i just put it in the truck and get home or should i go to a pgc office.... my dad said kill it and come home but then what do i do.... i have heard them while hunting there very loud.... or maybe really close to me but if i do see them i will take it out lol i really hope you guys have my back with this
Old 11-29-2004, 12:46 PM

to some up shooting any cougar in "most" eastern US states.

answer is NO.

some states have a "posing a physical threat" clause to that but very minimal as far as eastern states that have that.

the problem...... most eastern states officials say they are not here and that in lies the problem.

if they are here, then it needs to be found out if they are wild migrats or released pets.

the only saving grace you "might" have is if it had any signs of a captive cat gone loose, like declawed or removed fangs which people often do to these so called "pets"

if it is a wild cougar in east......it is FEDERALLY PROTECTED no matter if it's a western migrate as the cat was indiginous to all eastern states at one time. not state protected.......which means it is protected in all easter states that don't have that threat clause.

I'd say shoot it with your camera as often as you can and get your local state officals mixed up in things.

you could be subject to fines and or jail time for shooting a wild eastern cougar.

as much proof as a carcass would be........ not sure if i could stomache taking such a rare animal on east coast.

if you can shoot it......you can shoot it with a camera. why do you need the head on the wall just to proove it there.

if it posed a serious threat........ blast it. but then again just shooting the gun in the area should sufficiently scare it

and get a mini recorder with a decent mic. the mics on them mini recorders suck and usually have jacks to add external mic not to mention much more directional. your game officials might like to hear what your hearing as well.

also might want to contact ....... http://www.easterncougarnet.org/index.html

if you happen to get a good recording, I'm sure they would love a copy of it for analasis.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:25 PM

I DON'T JUST WANT THE HEAD I WANT THE FULL BODY MOUNT
Old 11-30-2004, 06:36 PM

if u or the person u get to mount the cougar are caught with it...say good bye 2 your family for a few yrs and get yourself some astro glide..or ky. u r going to jail and there is no doubt about that...at least 1-5yrs..min.

good luck shooting one
Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 PM

This is all the reasons WHY Sighting reports are so IMPORTANT, if we keep compiling these, and showing that there is a population, How can any state fine or jail any person for protecting themselves!! If we don't talk about this and keep records with people such as myself, you would be on your own, should the day come, when one is shot, and that I believe is just a matter of time. Please send me your sighting reports, go to my web site, read "why we do it" there is a link that is so easy just fill in the blanks, and give me the information, I keep your name confidential, but I reseach locations therefore if I seee your neighbors are having the same situation I will contact you. ASAP!! go to www.Trackincats.com also look at the Wiki page we are talking there you are invited.
ORIGINAL: lemond33

if u or the person u get to mount the cougar are caught with it...say good bye 2 your family for a few yrs and get yourself some astro glide..or ky. u r going to jail and there is no doubt about that...at least 1-5yrs..min.

good luck shooting one

Quick Reply: can you kill a cougar in pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.