Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD hunting.  Any good? >

MD hunting. Any good?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD hunting. Any good?

Old 11-21-2004, 05:58 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default MD hunting. Any good?

My wife and I are making plans toward our retirement. It's quite a ways off but we are looking at land to eventually build on. Since we live in VA I am thinking Southwest VA in the mountains. She has suggested Maryland. I'm wondering if there is even any land there. All I know of Maryland is Baltimore, Interstate 95 and the stretch of road we travel thru MD that gets us to Deleware.
What's the hunting like, any remote areas? what are the gun laws and hunting laws like?

David
Old 11-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MD hunting. Any good?

dpv,
well, Ive hunted MD for over 15 years, and I can tell you, the hardest part about hunting MD is....well finding a place to hunt! I hunt Northern Carroll Co, which is about 45 miles North of Balt, and its so hard to find good spots. If you dont "know" someone, or pay out the a$$ you dont hunt. There is no knocking on doors and farmers saying "sure come on in" most places have way more hunters then should be per acre. I am lucky enough to have 2 good spots but, they are local friends that my father knew back in the early 80's. If you want to hunt the eastern shore, you will pay!! A friend of mine leases in Kent Co and the farmers down there know what they are sitting on, he and 7 friends lease 200 acres for $8000!!!! per season, then when goose season comes in they have to pay $25/ day just to do that!! Public hunting areas are available, but well its public hunting, and I dont have to explain all that mess to you. hope I helped, maybe someone else has a different opinion.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:25 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I appreciate the response. My objective is to find some land. bare minimum 20 acres. That would have to be in a pretty remote area since 20 really isn't enough to do anything but have the deer crossing off larger land thru yours. But I'm on the lookout. Just don't know the areas so it really makes it near impossible.

David
Old 11-21-2004, 07:50 PM

Dont look in MD......look in PA or VA.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the maryland DNR website, they list all the public land...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

DPV-

It's true that much of Maryland is heavily populated. However, don't forget the Western part of the state. In particular, Garrett, Alleghaney and Washington counties. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The farther west you go, the better, with Garrett being the least populated.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

jon,
yeah I dont know much about out west, I didnt want to comment on something I didnt know about,(like that never happens on here!!)
Ive never hunted any further west than Washington Co. so I guess thats why diferent peoples comments are good.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Spike

Whats a new hunter soppost to do if they don't really know any hunters and don't want to be hunting a heavy populater area?
I really can't see paying a arm and a leg to hunt either unless I plan on taking alot of game....
Old 11-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Mossy,

Yeah, MD is really like 3 separate states I guess, West, Central and Eastern Shore.
I belong to a hunt club in Garrett county and it is like a different world up there.
How did Canada go, Mossy?

Aqua,

If you are new to hunting, I would suggest maybe looking on this board for a veteran hunter who would be willing to perhaps take you underwing. There's alot of great guys on this board with alot of knowledge. If you lived closer, I'd be willing to take you to where I hunt in Washington County.

Slice
Old 11-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Dented, look in WV or PA. There is no need to pay Maryland prices when you can drive a little further and not spend a kid's college education and have great hunting/fishing.

Quick Reply: MD hunting. Any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.