Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MD hunting.  Any good? >

MD hunting. Any good?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MD hunting. Any good?

Old 11-23-2004, 05:56 PM

Default RE: MD hunting. Any good?

I have to agree with everyone else. I live in Pa, just about 30 min from Md. This is my first year hunting in Md, and I chose to do so because a close friend of mine lives there and he is huge into hunting along with his relatives. There are a few public places, none of which I have seen a single deer so far this season, and these are also places where I have yet to see another hunter. My friend had taken me out on private land for the short muzzleloader season that came in last month, and I lost track of the number of deer I had seen in a 3 hour peroid. The gentleman that made the comment about the amount of $$ some of these guys pay, hit it right on the nose. However, those that do pay top $$ to lease land, also take some of the biggest bucks I have ever laid eyes on.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 PM

I'm from PA and once I discovered MD hunting I havnt looked back. In my humble opinion its one of the best states in the Northeast for deer. Private land can be tough, but the further west you travel the easier it is to find land. There is a lot of public land and with a little scouting you can find areas away from all the other hunters. Plus you can't beat the number of deer you can take, you can take over 40 deer in md 9 of them being bucks. The only bad thing is the fact that its a liberal state and full of tree huggers other than that I think its a great state for the deer hunter.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 PM

I will be in MD hunting this Sat for the firearms opener in Balto. Co. My paretns have land that backs up to Gunpowder State Park where there is no hunting allowed......TONS of does and a few big bucks. I am taking does only (unless I see something HUGE) to put meat in the fridge.