Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 whats up with the weather?? >

whats up with the weather??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

whats up with the weather??

Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 PM

Default RE: whats up with the weather??

Man, you guys are spreading alot of myths with all this feeding talk lol...

first of all...the closer to the equator you get, the smaller the deer get....farther away, bigger bodies. Small bodies ,warm weather....big bodies, cold weather. South Texas deer=small...while Alberta Canada=huge.

Deer are heaviest at the end of summer, they have been feeding on lush vegetation all summer long, but mostly at night. As the season progresses into fall, and as photoperiodism dictates their behavior, deer actually are less active....but their activity is more defined....so when you see deer moving from feeding to bedding areas in the morning...don't mistake it for some all night/all day feeding frenzy...it just aint so. And when you see them on the move in the afternoon, coming from the bedding areas to the feeding areas...don't assume an all night binger lol.

The shortening days of fall dicatate all deer behavior.

Now about the weather lol.....weather is the single BIGGEST factor in deer feeding behavior. Deer like low humidity and a steady cool temperature RELATIVE to their body size....so Northern deer don't like to move a whole lot during the fall when temps take a drastic swing upwards....simply because they don't need to feed lol. They aint burning calories in their comfy beds. But when it gets downright cold....deer activity during daylight hours will pick up. Of course wind speed and humidity as well as barometric pressure all play a HUGE part in how deer move.

Deer move best when these 3 conditions are present....a rising or falling barometer, temps below 50 degrees, low humidity. If you have all 3 present...be in the woods. The only thing that will affect HOW you hunt is the wind.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 AM

Deer move best when these 3 conditions are present....a rising or falling barometer, temps below 50 degrees, low humidity. If you have all 3 present...be in the woods. The only thing that will affect HOW you hunt is the wind

that is what i`m saying we will only have two of the three more than likely
Old 11-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: E.P. Scott

first of all...the closer to the equator you get, the smaller the deer get....farther away, bigger bodies. Small bodies ,warm weather....big bodies, cold weather. South Texas deer=small...while Alberta Canada=huge.
the borealis effect, correct? works on bears and other animals, too.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:05 PM

went out this mornin in misty rain, then when it started to get light, the fog started rolling in-couldn't see a dam thing[:'(]. anyone else have same prob? heard a few shots but i havnt seen anything since season opened
Old 11-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weather has been horrible. Lows in the 30's, with highs into the low 60s here in CT. Deer are still moving, seems all around my stand on opening morning, although I heard many multiple shots, which is never a good thing.

Fog had lifted here in CT this morning, came in thick last night. My brother went out this morning for NYs opener, and he said by 7am he could barely see 30 yards. He did see a group of does, but only 2 mature with 6 fawns.

This weather has really slowed down the activity, although I am still seeing scrape freshening and new rubs, so they're still active...just not during the day [:'(]

Looks like it may turn colder for the weekend...will be nice not sitting on stand and sweating from the sunshine...