HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   WV rut? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/78333-wv-rut.html)

DougMD 11-08-2004 09:00 AM

WV rut?

Any action going on where you are at? If so, what county? I have already heard of some seeking going on, with one guy taking a 10 pointer. Others have seen some rubs and scrapes, but haven't seen any cruising bucks. In general, almost everyone seems to be seeing less deer than they are used to seeing.

Rem1100 11-08-2004 03:06 PM

RE: WV rut?

DougMD... Ive seen 2 bucks and 6 does in 5 days hunting(Hardy Co).. no rut activity AT ALL...no mast...local farmers tell me there's less deer thanm they can remember seeing... remember, Wardensville was the deer hunting capital of WVa ,during the 60s... now the count is way down.. habitat destruction, along with the States' prostitution of the herd lowered numbers overall... i'm betting for a reduction in total harvest for 2004... about 20k less... the deer population ,from state-wide reports, is very low... Good luck...

Pro-Line 11-08-2004 04:13 PM

Doug...I just got back from several days of hunting, and there is little to no rut activity in our area. The big bucks were still frequenting our feeder at night, which they will stop doing once the rut kicks in.

I saw less deer than I ever have for the amount of time I was in a tree. I saw 1 spike...That's it. Under the light at night I saw 3 different bucks and some does...but not much.

Not sure if it was the weather, but relatives that were also bowhunting said it's been an absolutely pathetic year.

Bbearfax 11-08-2004 04:41 PM

I have been seeing alot of deer in Preston Co. but no big bucks. I have seen (2) year and a half olds following does but that is normal they know they are doing something they just dont know what.

DougMD 11-09-2004 07:07 AM

Well, I surely hope that if the harvest and sightings remain low, the DNR will restrict seasons or bag limits because this is ridiculous! It doesn't have to get to extreme overpopulation, but somewhere near the carrying capacity should be the goal. What do you suppose is the cause, liberal seasons and bag limits, bad mast crops, bad winters?

royak 11-09-2004 07:41 AM

Doug I live in Mercer Co in the very southern tip I have saw a few scrapes and some horning all from the same buck . That said it has so far been my worst year in many many years. I havent saw as many deer in this whole season as I usually see in one day and I have been out. I have only missed a couple of days since season came in.
One of the farmers here I hunt told me he hasnt saw any fawns since they were first born he thinks the coyotes took a real toll on them. He told me he saw 8 does on his way to drive his school bus the other morning and there was no small ones with them. I also havent saw any young ones at all this year and that is a bad sign.

DougMD 11-09-2004 09:11 AM

royak,

Thanks for the heads-up. We've had a trend of fewer sighting over the past three or four years. Where we'd surely see quite a few, we're lucky to see any now. At the same time, we are seeing fewer racked bucks, so it is the worst of all worlds. I know there are SOME coyotes in the area based on sightings and people hearing them occassionally, but it's hard for me to believe they are the reason for declines in deer numbers.

If anyone has any info on rut activity, please let us know...

WVbucksnort 11-09-2004 10:12 AM

Doug.............Hunting Preston Co. has been slow as to buck activity,as well as fewer deer where I hunt.Saw 2 bucks chasing last wednesday(halfhearted chases) have seen 3 other small bucks this week, I let them walk(little buggers),things are starting to get a little heated over this way.
It can't happen too soon for me.
Snort

Rem1100 11-09-2004 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: DougMD

I know there are SOME coyotes in the area based on sightings and people hearing them occassionally, but it's hard for me to believe they are the reason for declines in deer numbers.
Bro... the farmers around our camp (Hardy Co) hired trapper thru WVU somehow, and he trapped 15 yotes in about 12 days... YOU tell me how much damage they're doing, and what size the yote population is... My Buddy killed one with a bow last fall in Wayne Co..... Not to mention our illustrious State prostituting the game for $$, just like a NY pimp....... no wonder the herds' declining....

DougMD 11-09-2004 02:09 PM

Rem, I'm in that general area too, so must have them where I'm at. I hope that's not the reason!