Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY.... picking up yet? >

NY.... picking up yet?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY.... picking up yet?

Old 11-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default NY.... picking up yet?

Hey NYers... how's the action through this weekend? Anymore sign of rutting? I think love may be in the air. If not awfully darn close. Saw 5 bucks sunday morning at all times of the day. All with their nose to the ground and looking. Definitely getting more deer sightings the last couple of days. Hopefully this is a sign of a fun last 2 weeks of bowseason. How's everyone else doin?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY.... picking up yet?

I agree that the rut is getting closer here in NY, I saw the most deer this weekend than I have seen all season long! I saw a small buck that appeared to be chasing a couple of does. They did not appear to want anything to do with him yet and ran away when the buck came close. I also saw deer at all times of the day. Next weekend should be good!
MIKE
Old 11-09-2004, 06:33 AM

I hunt near Olean, NY. I have seen the same spike buck chasing does for the past 5 days. No sign of the big boys. This weekend should be good. New moon too.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Been hunting the last couple of weekends in 3K...near Oakland Valley....

have not seen much action..2 weeks ago saw a doe and 4 pointer in 3 days of hunting....this past weekend saw 2 does while walking into my stand for and afternoon hunt...

have not seen any scrapes or rubs on our club property.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Spike

I have hunted 3k of over 10 years. I can tell you for sure that the deer numbers that we were use to seeing a couple of years ago no longer exist in 3k. I did a lot of atv riding in the back woods over the summer and I have bin out about 4 times bow hunting without seeing any deer. Same for my brotherinlaw who has bin out about 6 days. I don't even see that many on the side of roads anymore. I enjoy hunting wheather I'm successfull or not. I am not sure what has contributed to the deer decline in the south western catskills. My theory's are that the harsh winter of 02 wiped out most of the herd. It could also have something to do with disease. I am hearing the same thing from our friends on the other side of the delaware river in Wyane co. PA. This decline started right after the 02 winter. I wish that the d.e.c. would send over some biologists to try and find out what has happened. Mostly because if it turns out to be a disease of some kind would you, friends or families want to eat that meat. The dec should give us an explaination rather than just reducing the doe tags. The hunting in my area has become very difficult but I am up to the task of waiting it out. Just like last year when I connected with a nice buck on the last day of rifle season. I just would like to know if the meat is still good to eat. Maybe a reasonable explaination by the d.e.c. would ease some minds.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM

NY's
I was successful in tagging a 4pt on Nov 1 late in the afternoon in 5K area. A freind of mine tagged a nice 6pt on the Monday pior to that also in 5K area. There is scrap activity in our area and the rut should be under way by now or very soon. Good luck and hunt safe!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 PM

some rubs; haven't spotted any scrapes,upstate NY(6g)
Old 11-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well it has gotten cold and i,ve been out a couple times just watching because on Monday a walked in to my spot and noticed someone had decided to come on to our hunting land and steal my treestand which i always leave on the tree through bow season, but other than that the deer have been coming into the fields well before dark, around 3:30. I love this cold weather.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Spike

All too common problem. I use a climber due to many stands stolen or destroyed in the attempt, and all on private land. Hard to believe another hunter would be that disrespectfull and waste so much good hunting time. They need a beating!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dont' feel bad bud... I had 8 ladder stands swiped off my land in one night 4 days before bowseason opened. Wanna talk about one IRRATE dude?[:@] Strange how some people can call themselves "hunters"

Quick Reply: NY.... picking up yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.