Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Any one know what Pa fish/game wardens make? >

Any one know what Pa fish/game wardens make?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any one know what Pa fish/game wardens make?

Old 03-25-2002, 02:44 PM

Default RE: Any one know what Pa fish/game wardens make?

Pennsylvania has two seperate agencies - the Pa. Fish & Boat Commission, and the Pa. Game Commission. Both employ Conservation Officers. Those that work for Fish & Boat are called Waterways Conservation Officers. Those that work for Game are called Wildlife Conservation Officers. Officers from both agencies are empowered by legislature to enforce each other's laws, but have the primary responsibility to enforce the laws and regulations peritinent to their agency. They also have police powers, and enforce the Pennsylvania Crimes Code - incidental to their regular duties. Waterways Conservation Officers undergo 52 weeks of training - which includes 24 weeks of Municipal Police Officer Training. They deal with all fish law enforcement, boat law enforcement, reptiles,
amphibians, and water pollution. They are initially hired as seasonal officers ( having to endure a layoff over the holidays and hunting season), but go into full 12 month employment as such positions open up (rather quickly in the last several years). Wildlife Conservation Officers deal with enforcement of laws pertaining to the fuzzy, furry or feathered critters. They undergo a 51 week training program prior to permanent fulltime assignment. Both jobs are civil service positions and carry the full range of benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance and state retirement. The Fish and Boat officers are eligible to retire (2.5% of final average salary x no. of years worked) at age 50 without state retirement penalties. the Game troops must work until age 62 or 35 years to retire without penalties. Both start at Trainee pay of $13.10 per hour ($27,332 annual)until graduation from the training program when they are upgraded & earn at least $16.73 hr.($34,905). Once assigned into the field, they receive rent payment for maintaining an office in the home and token subsistence allowance for meal expenses. All equipment and uniform clothing is provided (everthing but underwear). They receive annual pay increases as determined by union contracts. The highest pay step as a field officer currently pays $53,036 - achieved upon 20 years of service. Plus, they are paid overtime for work above 8 and forty. Civil Service exams are given for the 2 positions every 3 or 4 years on average. Game just had a class graduate about 2 weeks ago. Fish & Boat currently has a class in training which will graduate in September. State Civil Service Commission handles all applications and testing. Competitioon is always pretty keen. College degree is not required - but helps. Under Pa's laws/rules, veterans get an extra 10 points added to their civil service score - and when it comes time to hire - the agencies can't pass over a vet to hire a non-vet. If you're not a vet - it's really tuff to get onboard because with the vets extra points - they almost always outscore non-vets or can't be reached beacuse of the no-passover rule. They're both very interesting & demanding jobs which require true commitment to the profession. The quickest way to get onboard is to serve your country, get the veteran's preference points, have some secondary education, be at least 21 years of age with a clean background, be a resident of Penna., have a valid driver license and score high enough on the written exams and oral interviews. Then, be prepared to make the sacrafices required to serve the public and protect the resource from misuse and abuse. Both agencies also have Deputy programs which are good stepping stones to learn about the jobs and gain law enforcement experience.

penalties
Old 03-25-2002, 03:23 PM

They dont make enough.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mudfish where are you? Are you lost? Hello....out there
Old 03-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a class that is to help u find out what u wanna be and the pay and skooling u need ect ect ect...i studied the game warden and a wildlife biologist because both seem like what i want to do and would be fairly happy...the average pay for a game warden was around 40k but thats with the highest degree...i think im gunna have to look for a realy job that is barely enough to support a small family...thats pathetic...y the pay is so low i dont kno but would love too...the wildlife biologists only made like 54k avg!! and there are only 135 game commissioners in the state i think is what i heard...and ur chances of getting in are slim...maybe sum1where out west would be better paying and more jobs....i think if i consider this i mite consider being a fishing or hunting guide!!

mauser06
Old 03-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

This would be one awesome job, I could put up with lower $ to do something you really enjoy doing. Only problem is if you love to hunt as much as we all do...You might as well give it up cause guess when your "busy" time of the year is? HUNTIN SEASON!!!!! Thats why I could never become a warden..like huntin too much!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Mauser06, you ought to take a class in Econ 101. $54K/year is a dam good livin in most or all of PA bud!!! I know I am a college graduate and bee workin for 17 years and i would like to make that a year!
Old 03-26-2002, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

54k with a gov pension and all the perks aint that bad!

Fozzdick, thanks for the great post. (100% accurate )

The tough part for a young guy contemplating this as a career is that many apply and few are chosen for this work. The good thing for the rest of us is that when there is stiff competition for a position, we tend to get the better than average guy to fill a position. Until, of course, politics and quotas enter the picture!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Spike

If MD was hiring I'd say try here. Starting is over 30k and officer positions will top out over 60k.

Quick Reply: Any one know what Pa fish/game wardens make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.