Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Hunters.........How is it going??? >

NY Hunters.........How is it going???

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Hunters.........How is it going???

Old 11-01-2004, 07:54 AM

Default NY Hunters.........How is it going???

Well, in my opinion it is the same old story here in NY. Deer numbers and sightings so far have been minimal.

I have fortunately gotten permission to hunt a private farm near my home and have seen plenty of deer and taken a 6 pt last week.............but on 8 trips to state lands I and my 2 hunting partners have not even seen a deer.

This is brutal.

With the rut about to kick in I sure hope things get better..........especially for my brothers and friends. Hunting state land is getting pretty tough around here.

Anybody seeing any deer out there???
Old 11-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: NY Hunters.........How is it going???

I have bin out about 3 times. I have not seen a thing. I hunt the 3k area. Most of the deer I have encountered on the road side only come out at nite. With few sitings. It has bin a slow bow season. The temps are going to drop after thurs. We will see what that brings. Im not even looking for that big buck any more. Just hoping to see some deer activity. The rut should be kicking in soon. I have seen very little rut activity to date. There's no scrapes of rubs anywhere. It feels like I'm walking through a ghost town where I hunt. The UFO's have abducted all of my deer.[&o]
Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 AM

Been out 4 times in the adoirondack region. The only thing me and my hunting partner have seen are a few flags and barely any sign.Hunted from sun up to sun down yesterday and only thing I seen were lots of falling leaves.I noticed there haven't been much shooting going on either so I must not be the only one having no luck.I sure hope the action picks up soon though its kind of disappointing.The weather has been like a yo-yo here in upstate maybe some cold weather will get the deer moving more during daylite hours.21 days to the southern opener maybe deer activity will be better by then,until then I will be putting my time in up north.Hope someone posts better results than me.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have had decent luck, well at least as much as one can have without taking a shot yet
Been out on 6 afternoon hunts. Seen deer 4 of those hunts, and shooter bucks 3 of those times. I just have not had the chance to draw yet. Came close on a doe on first day out, but no luck.

I saw a large 8 yesterday, and he was clearly in a seeking phase. He was rubbing up against a fallen log over a trail spreading his scent. The rut cannot be too far off, maybe another week or so.

I also saw a buck chase off a large spike a week ago after he turned towards some incoming does. That was rather funny, the spike did not take his time getting outta there once he saw the larger buck.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Spike

I have seen (and heard) bucks chasing does the last couple of days but all young bucks and the does want no part of them. Lots of fawns wandering without momma also, which is a good sign. I hunt all over WNY, CNY and NW PA and will be in the Adirondacks this weekend. However, the action has been very very slow in the higher elevations (Allegany). It seems the deer are hanging in the green fields. I have been seeing deer every outing in the flatter farmland closer to the big lakes. Not much of a mast crop in the mountains but lots of apples in the flats. We need colder weather. Not much good when sweat is running down your nose after climbing a stand.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty slow the first 2 weeks of bowseason for us in Cayuga County. I've been out almost everyday morning and night since it opened and have seen only a handful of deer with only one close encounter that I passed on (small buck). The weather hasn't helped too much either. It's either raining or 20+mph winds and 65degrees. The rut is creeping closer and the weather looks like it's going to turn, so hopefully it will pick up.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had a great first two weeks my son missed a 8 pt opening day, that's not the great part, but atleast he got a shot attempt. I've been seeing deer on consistantly. One night last week I had 11 doe come through all with in 40 yards from my stand.

Last night was one of those nail biters had a ten come in right before dark easily in the 130 class . He was walking by at a pretty good pace at 8 yards so I mouth grunted when I was at full draw, he took two more steps and stopped right behind a large tree which conveniatly hid his vitals. Well I eventually had to let down. He stood in the area until after legal shooting hours. I sat in my stand for about 45 more minutes to make sure he didn't hear me get down and take the climber off the tree.

You gotta love bow hunting!!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:45 AM

I have been seing the same thing as newtown. Small bucks are beginning to harass the does. I saw a spike chasing a doe yesterday. She wanted no part of him. Yesterday was the first day I have seen any deer and I saw 5 in 2 hours. Next week should be good. Stay on your stand all day this weekend and I bet you see some
Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM

My friend and I went out Sunday morning to move a stand and do some scouting in Cayuga County. Driving up the path, we were crossed by five decent-sized does. When we got out to walk the rest of the way, a buck, probably 8-points and 2 1/2 yrs. old jumped into the path and ran ahead of us. We watched him flag across the field I usually overlook.

We always expect to see plenty of deer at that location, and this year looks as good as ever. Last year, we saw several of what looked like 1 1/2 year-olds. If that 2 1/2 year-old was any indication, I hope to see his buddies again this year.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have been out about 8 times and have seen a total of 4 deer and one Black Bear. No Bucks sighted yet. More tracks and runways look like they are being used more when i was out this past weekend. Hopefully this weekend will be better.
MIKE

Quick Reply: NY Hunters.........How is it going???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.