Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NH Youth Deer Weekend.... >

NH Youth Deer Weekend....

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NH Youth Deer Weekend....

Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NH Youth Deer Weekend....

Just finished up the latest NH Youth Hunting weekend, deer this time. We had good luck this year with my younger son starting it off with an 18 lb turkey on Youth turkey weekend, then duck weekend, younger one again shot a hen woodie.

Older one got into the action this time. After some "fun" in the morning, with myself and my 12 year old getting blown at by one and dismissing another as a chipmunk he got up to pee and the "chipmunk" who we hadn't heard in 10 minutes bounded off from right behind us. Oh well.

My older son was with my bowhunting partner and succummed to buck fever in the AM Sunday. Had a "nice" buck at 25 yds broadside, looking the other way. Well for some reason he decided to shoot from the "prone" position which is very strange since he's never shot a gun that way before. He doens't know why he did it and my friend was in diss-belief when he saw it, but couldn't do anything quick enough.... so buck bounded away. son has been re-named "sniper" now

Afternoon, younger son again with me, we have one come off the hill 75 yds away and I tell him to slowly turn my way, well he is INSTANTLY there up on his knees, oh well, I call to the deer and it looks right at us, I call again (probably a mistake) and the call squeels a bit and off goes the deer.

About 4:30 my and younger son hear "BOOM", yup, older so redeemed himself. My friend talked him through the shot every step of the way and he dropped this guy
in his tracks:

Old 10-25-2004, 05:16 PM

Default RE: NH Youth Deer Weekend....

Congrats to the kids on bagging some nice game and hats off to you for getting the young ones involved in a lifetime of adventures. Where abouts in NH? I am over 1/2 way between Manchester and Portsmouth in zone M.