Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 HEY DELAWARE...wheres all the hunters? >

HEY DELAWARE...wheres all the hunters?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HEY DELAWARE...wheres all the hunters?

Old 10-29-2004, 01:04 PM

Default RE: HEY DELAWARE...wheres all the hunters?

looks like the rut is on, most of the scraps i have found have went cold, also watched a ten point trailing a doe today while out for a ride to see if the doe hunters have been out with firearm in the areas ive been bowhunting. Biggest buck ive seen in the areas ive been hunting, could have used the quality buck tag. He was nice, figures i have to work the weekend. Saw this at 1:20 today.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:06 PM

What does an outta state lic. run in DE ? Spent 10yrs in newcastle before I moved to Jersey last yr. What seasons are coming up for DE and where can you hunt close to New castle ? Thanks for the info in advance. Cant get into the woods with anything other than a bow in NJ till 11/29.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 PM

Hey Slugman!

An out of state DE License cost $86. With that you can hunt by all means (Bow, Shotgun, Muzzleloader). Not like NJ where you need to spend $$ for each.

Augustine WMA is a nice piece of land in NCco. I havent hunted it in years. I heard it can get quite crowded so scout ahead. One thing you WONT like about DE WMAs is that for most of them during gun seasons, you have to hunt state built stands and the stands are handed out by lottery. Not like NJ where its all open.

Archery is in non-stop from 9/1 - 1/31/05. The next gun season starts 11/12 with Shotgun.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the DE hunting seen!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friday night glassed a very nice buck (8-10pnt) on adjacent farm following large doe. He could very well be passing thru our farm! 1st good sign I've seen in/around our farm.

Sat am I made a clean miss on the largest(huge) doe I've seen in many years. I would guess in the 185+ - lb class. I'll be lookin out for her all season. IMO a doe that large/old is as tough to bag as the cagiest buck. Sat pm shot a doe just before dark as 3 of them came thru the woods. There out there and moving! In 2 - 2 1/2 weeks the rut should be in full swing.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:06 PM

I went out and hunted a WMA that wasnt open to Doe Gun saturday morning. Had the whole woods to myself! But, i trusted the NOAA forecast of 20% chance of drizzle and was not prepared for the 1 hour downpour that started about 7:45am. I was back in the truck, soaked and cold by 9am. Too tired to make the long trip back in the PM. Wasted day.

Sat am I made a clean miss on the largest(huge) doe I've seen in many years. I would guess in the 185+ - lb class.
Man I wish you would have bagged her AJ. I didnt think there could be a whitetail doe that big. Congrats on the evening score. I wish I would have just slept in and hunted the afternoon. It never did get as warm as they predicted and at least it was dry.

Cant hunt again until next saturday in the PM. The week before Shotgun, I plan on a couple all day hunts. Last chance with the bow before I join the Pumpkin Army.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

D2,

I would almost be as happy with a Doe as large as seen/missed Sat as I would a good buck.

I spotted her as she layed in small thicket in marsh about 100 yrds from stand. I watched her for about 45 min. I then made enough noise to get her up. I could tell by her head and coloration she was a mature doe. Does this big have been around 3-4 yrs and very very cautious animals. I need to resight my new 870 with Slug Barrel. Most of my shots from this stand will be around 100yrds + -. I took 2 very nice Doe outa same stand with Knight .45 this season. That gun is a nail driver!

You might want to look into state stands for bow in November on Mon,Wed,and Fri at Ted Harvey WA(2512 A). Some very nice animals taken outa there. Stands #13,12,9 are hot stands. #13 & 12 probably being the most productive. No state stands but Little Creek WA (4709 A) is another good area along the marsh. Prime Hook is a hot spot for big bucks (698 A). Some very nice animals exist along these marsh areas particularly for bow hunters. All these areas have corn or bean fields.

I haven't hunted state ground for 6yrs. Things might have changed a bit but the deer are still there.

The slower lower DE Wild Life areas have much less hunter traffic(partic bow) than you guys up north. BUT - New Castle County has some huge Buck that will die of old age because they've never been shot at!!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:20 PM

Had a four point come in tonite to the can call and some old tinks from last year. He was no more than ten feet from me, i was on the ground with some branches an weeds that i make a make shift blind out of. He came running in an stood broadside. Figures i couldnt shoot, need a quality buck. Was hoping to raise the curosity of some does, but it was still a rush even though i didnt get to shoot.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:47 PM

thruthevitals

r u still hunting the north side of the canal near the new bridge. i see that there is another housing project going on over there. i am thinking about trying that side. i always look in the huge field there as u cross the canal heading south. good luck on the ten....is it a big racked 10 or a basket???
Old 11-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Yes im still messing around on the north side. That ten point would probably just make the 15 inch inside spread for the quality buck tag. That 4pt had a real nice size body, havent seen him again though. Was going to try and get down to augustine but i found a couple more areas on the C&D. Scouted for a couple hours today and only jumped one. I still havent hunted that field your talking about near the bridge. Lot of people out building stands today, guess there getting reading for friday, not sure if ill go there during shot gun or not, cant wait till gun season is over, did alot of post gun season scouting last year and found where some of them go when the pressure is on. Found six bait piles since sept while scouting, wish i had good enough luck to get away with it.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:20 PM

thanks for the post..i only archery hunt and leave the gunners alone. u can build stands on that side??? i thought that u couldnt do that. u are going to have to tell me again how to get in there. i have the lone wolf system and can hunt any tree sounds like a nice area. anything in the 140 class ever shot over there??? i have never seen a bait pill on the south side. u usually only hit does over them anyway. we bait where i hunt in NJ and that is usually the case. what happens if u are hunting in an area and didnt know bait was there and the "man" stops in???

Quick Reply: HEY DELAWARE...wheres all the hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.