Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY wheres the deer? >

NY wheres the deer?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY wheres the deer?

Old 10-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY wheres the deer?

hey guys-- got over 40 hours in the woods so far deer hunting, and ive seen 2 squirrels, a beaver and some birds...where the HECK are the deer? these are spots where i'm used to seeing 10-20 deer an outing....

no acorns, i've noticed... would a standing cornfield 5 miles away pull them out of my area like that?
seen a TAIL!
feedback?
thanks!
moose
ps i hunt the bow only section by albany--deer heaven, usually!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 AM

Default RE: NY wheres the deer?

Did you have the high winds we had over the weekend? I think they bed tight when the winds are like that. I spent about 20 hrs hunting this weekend and saw 1 deer (I think).
Old 10-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Spike

Check my responce on this thread http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=793239

We use to take about 5 to 7 deer off of my 50 ac property every year. This year I am going to limit it to 1 maybe 2 deer to help with a speedy rebound of the herd in years to come. The dec is only interested in licence sales. So they can continue to support the paper pushers working for them. If NY hunters continue to kill at this rate there will be no more deer left to hunt after this year. If you hunted Sullivan,delaware,green,ulster,otsego,schoharie,al bany, broome,chenango, For the past 2 years most of you know what I mean. The winter kill in the above county's was devistating to the herds. Continuing to hunt these areas hard will distroy what ever deer are left.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in sullivan and delaware counties, and you are 100% right. I have seen a huge decline in deer numbers over the last few years. Every year it has gotten worse. We need a couple of easy winters to help the herd recover. Also, if you notices, the DEC really limited the number of doe permits this year. Hopefully that will help as well.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:40 PM

I've hunted the last 4 days straight.... in pouring rain, high winds and I have had similar results. The only good day was yesturday when I saw 2 does and 1 decent buck. But other than that I haven't seen much and neither has my buddies... just a weird season so far.

Scott
Old 10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

gonna have to disagree a bit. I hunt in Chenango and live in Broome. I see deer apon deer when travelling around (saw 15+ Saturday nite). There are more than enough deer around. Just because you may not see as many as in past years doesn't mean they're not there. Yes, we have had some hard winters - that's nature and happens all the time. The deer poulation in NY is a large as it's ever been. There are always local variations and fluctuations in deer numbers, so yes, in your 100 ac. or 500 ac. or whatever the deer pop. may be "down" somewhat. But there are still plenty of deer. You want to see low deer populations try a hunt in the central Adirondacks with 1 buck/ square mile. That's low (I know - I've been hunting there for 8 yeasr and have seen 1 flag).

With that said our area (7M) the buck numbers are actually down and that's why the DEC is issuing NO doe permits (more doe = more buck born). So if your conspiracy theory of the DEC just trying to line their pockets and not caring about the deer pop. was true, we would have doe permits and lots of them. Obviously, that is not the case.

By the way, I was out 3 days this past weekend and only saw 2 deer. Hope there are some to shoot. I think it will get much better in a couple weeks. Watch for all the dead deer on the roads.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

extinct
Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Our season started on friday . I've hunted a total of 6 hrs in not the best of conditions. I've had 5 different bucks with in 15 yards & saw 2 of the bucks twice.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Spike

Posted byoughboysigep
You want to see low deer populations try a hunt in the central Adirondacks with 1 buck/ square mile. That's low (I know - I've been hunting there for 8 yeasr and have seen 1 flag).
Now that's what Im talking about. Have you seen last years buck harvist for delaware county? Don't bother looking I'll tell you. 1.8 bucks per sq mile[&o] and that's optimistic. This area has always bin 3.5 to 4.0 Your area may not have bin affected as much as the catskill belt. The problem is the dec didn't see any problems till the stats from last years hunt came in. The dec biologists haven't bin doing there job. [:@] If there were afield during the 02 winter and saw what happened as I did than there would have bin changes already in 03. But no, our hunting dollars are spent on a cozy fire place for the state field biologist's to keep warm and wait for hunting # to come in to see if there's something wrong. They stopped the sale of doe permits in these areas 2 years to late. Someone should be fired for this. The biologist's in zone 3 and 4 are Turdz.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

we can sit here and argue all day long or we can agree to disagree. I believe that most of the DEC in charge of the herd know what they are doing and do their job to the best of their ability. If you didn't know, managing a constantly fluctuating, dynamic, natural entity that you only get a small sample of hard numbers, is not an easy task. They do the best they can and most are a lot more knowledgeable (at least on the herd estimated numbers and poulation dynamics) than most hunters. It would be scary to see what would happen if every Tom, Dick, or Harry was allowed to manage "their" deer population. With that said, I would attend any public forums or public info sessions to voice your opinion and/or talk with the local DEC people (phone, letter, etc.) and try to get some more insight as to why they are doing what they do. Hopefully they can give you an answer (or maybe you will get one of the few that may not be as competant as we may like??)

Again, like I said in last post, we in 7M are in a similar boat. Maybe they could have/should've lowered doe permits a year or 2 ago so we had a chance to get one this year. But they didn't and I can live with it.

Quick Reply: NY wheres the deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.