HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   2004 deer season/trips/hunts planned (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/71349-2004-deer-season-trips-hunts-planned.html)

Phil J. 09-03-2004 11:12 AM

2004 deer season/trips/hunts planned

I'm like a kid in a candy store this time of year, the coming of labor day brings a new happiness to me, the start of cooler temps. and seasons to come soon.

What do you New Englanders have planned for the upcoming seasons? Besides hunting deer in SE Mass. this season, I was fortunate enough to draw a Montana antelope tag and will be doing 7 days the second week in October, man am I juiced about that trip.

Good luck this season.

luckyshot 09-04-2004 01:28 PM

RE: 2004 deer season/trips/hunts planned

Hey Phil, I'm jealous i've put in for a montana antelope permit for 2 years in a row and have got NOTHING. I was starting to think they didn't exist! Congrats on the permit and good luck. Please post a pic when you get him.
As far as my season, those permits are pulled so late i had to scramble around again to find a decent guided hunt. Last year i got screwed on a bad Nebraska whitetail hunt. That's 2 grand i aint getting back!!!!!!!!!! This year i found a bear hunt.
I'll be in Maine for a bear hunt with hounds from Oct.10-17th then i'll be driving to another spot in Maine for an archery whitetail hunt for 5 more days.(13 days straight of hunting............. :)hooray) although the wife isn't thrilled. Then it's back to work:(:( and local archery hunting (Swansea) evenings and saturdays.

emlaur 09-06-2004 02:25 PM

I'm flying to Alaska this friday. Staying for two weeks with a friend that I hav'nt seen in years. He has a moose tag but I did'nt draw one so I'll help pack his out (how is that for a positive attitude?).Maybe next year I'll get lucky.

luknikk 09-06-2004 07:54 PM

And I'm only gonna be in Jersey and NY state.Man I got to book a trip to Illinois or Iowa for next season.

Phil J. 09-08-2004 05:49 PM

I didn't realize how lucky we were to draw the first year we put in, there was three of us that put in together. I was talking to another guy and he's been putting in for four years now unsuccesful, I think it also depends on what zone you put in for. We're hunting 700, eastern part of Montana, man I can't wait!

DLuke 09-08-2004 06:18 PM

Nothing new for me in terms of travel. I'll spend the third week in November in Zone 17 in Maine, then I'll huntdown here in MA weekends and odd days through shotgun and BP in the Dighton/Rehoboth area. DL

MA Jay 09-09-2004 06:53 AM

For the first time in a long time I'm strictly New England bound. My wife is due in mid October and I wanted to stay close by should she need me. My season looks like this-

Early goose in Mass and NH (right now)
Bear in NH ... seen 1 bear so far
Archery deer NH next week
Pheasant, Grouse and Waterfowl in NH and Mass starting October 1st
Deer in NH and Mass
late season CT archery deer

I'm already planning next years out of state trip though, just trying to pick the critter.. moose in Canada or elk out West.

Good luck Phil on your antelope trip. I hope you are as lucky as your mule deer trip!

Phil J. 09-09-2004 01:28 PM

Looks like you've got a full plate even if your staying in the area Jay, good luck with the newborn and the new house, you've got plenty going on right now to stress anybody out!

We also got antelope doe tags, so we've got two tags apiece, guess the lottery gods where shining on us this year. I'll post any photos! Good luck out there.

MA Jay 09-09-2004 01:58 PM

You lucky dog. I can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics.

You up for any early season geese hunting? What about bear? Would you believe that after closing on the new house last Friday, on the way back from the attorneys at 5:30 in the afternoon when I pulled into the driveway there was a very large black bear standing in it. From some of the sign I have been seeing.. I may have me a bit of a bear problem!

Rick James 09-09-2004 08:10 PM

Well I am still a youngster (mid 20's) so I won't have the money this year to travel far, plus I only get about 6 days total of work to take off. With that said, I will be hunting VT buck season for the first three days, and will be taking the entire first week of PA rifle season off work as well to hunt on my fathers property in Bradford County, and on a high school friends property in Huntington County. Can't wait, I am going to be pretty selective this year too, but should end up with at least one in the freezer.