Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA! >

NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

I just saw it on the news. A bill was introduced to enact sunday hunting in PA. Deer hunting wasn't specifically listed but implied that it could be a possibility. Keep your ears open.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Default RE: NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Greg,

I saw this maybe a year ago. I had sent a note to my Senator about Sunday hunting. He said they were trying to pass legislation that would allow for Sunday hunting for buck only, and on game lands only. I don't know if this is the same bill, but it might be.

Thanks for the heads up.

Tom
Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 PM

Rep. Staback introduced the bill to the House of Reps. He doesn't anticipate going anywhere but introduced it as a means to get the word out and the ball rolling for potential future bills.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a thought, why don't they give us Sunday hunting and take away Monday's instead? Most people can't get into the woods other than the weekend, it would just make sense. Its essential that give the animals a rest. Chasing them 7 days a week for three months is pretty harsh. Not to mention it could jeoperodize their health for the upcoming winter. I don't have any facts to support this but it just seems logical.

But buck only on state gamelands? Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. They want to take more does, but let us hunt for bucks more than does. Hmmmm... Also, it seems to me that there are many, many more deer on private ground than the already exhausted game lands.

I think Sunday hunting for archers would be a good thing, but gun hunters I don't agree with. If you can't kill a deer with a gun during that two weeks, you have more problems than not enough days.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a recent article about the bill being introduced : http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/9410139.htm

My personal opinion is that Sunday hunting should be legal statewide for all hunting seasons. I just do not see a legitimate reason why Sunday hunting should not be allowed. Actually, when you look at it, Sunday hunting IS legal. You just have to hunt for coyotes, foxes or crows.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a thought, why don't they give us Sunday hunting and take away Monday's instead? Most people can't get into the woods other than the weekend, it would just make sense.
Agreed, but 'they' don't see it that way. Which can only mean that Sunday as the chosen day is purely for religious reasons.....which is a direct violation of the US Constitution.

Its essential that give the animals a rest. Chasing them 7 days a week for three months is pretty harsh. Not to mention it could jeoperodize their health for the upcoming winter. I don't have any facts to support this but it just seems logical.
The animals will manage just fine, their entire livelihood is based on survival and procreation. They have more predators after them than just hunters. And, almost all of the "chasing" is going on for two weeks of rifle season.....not much at all in archery and late muzz/archery. Some "chasing" going on in the early muzz/rifle I pressume. The brunt of the stress that deer see is just as they head into winter during the rifle seasons. We have very minimal winter kill anywhere in this state, so your stress "jeopordizing their health" issue it pretty much a moot point.

But buck only on state gamelands? Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. They want to take more does, but let us hunt for bucks more than does. Hmmmm... Also, it seems to me that there are many, many more deer on private ground than the already exhausted game lands.
I agree, very dumb idea with what we're trying to accomplish. As far as exhausted SGL's....well, there are some that hold few deer, there are some that have many, many deer. Not all are exhausted and any that I've been to aren't hurting for deer....that's in my area, maybe not the case in all or your areas.

I think Sunday hunting for archers would be a good thing, but gun hunters I don't agree with. If you can't kill a deer with a gun during that two weeks, you have more problems than not enough days.
Sunday hunting for everyone! There's no reason why rifle hunters shouldn't be allowed to hunt on Sunday just like archers. It's the principle of the matter. Hunter numbers are declining and time to hunt is a cause to some degree. Kids aren't getting involved because they only have Saturdays to hunt because of school, sports, friends, etc. Sunday is another day that can offer an all day hunt that many don't do anything at all but lounge around the house.

All of this is coming from a seasoned archer that seldom picks up a rifle....maybe three days a year to accompany his wife. I keep one doe tag available for hunting with my wife....I usually fill it the first day and then push for her the rest of the day and/or on the Saturday's. All of my buck hunting is archery and all of our hunting is on public land.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

JasonN, very good points.

The animals will manage just fine, their entire livelihood is based on survival and procreation. They have more predators after them than just hunters. And, almost all of the "chasing" is going on for two weeks of rifle season.....not much at all in archery and late muzz/archery. Some "chasing" going on in the early muzz/rifle I pressume. The brunt of the stress that deer see is just as they head into winter during the rifle seasons. We have very minimal winter kill anywhere in this state, so your stress "jeopordizing their health" issue it pretty much a moot point.
I didn't think of it that.

I am fortunate enough to hunt on 600 acres of private ground that has an 8pt rule now for us old buggers in the clan and shoot what you want for the kids. The game commission laws don't really effect us much.

The state ground around my area doesn't hold many deer usually. They get thinned out pretty good every season from pumpkin patch after Thanksgiving.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

You all hunt on sundays, Me I'm going to church Sunday morning. Gods creatures will wait for Monday. he is the creator. His creation , He will save it for me. I call that faith some call it stupid. Your choice ,wont condemm anyone
Old 08-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres no pracitcal reason as to why you can't hunt Sunday. Just seems like an old-fashioned type law to me.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Guys---this is PA that we are talking about.. Do you really think that they will move into the 21st century in terms of loosening the rules??

Jersey could not do it and I really do not see PA making it happen.

Good luck though..

Quick Reply: NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.