Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA! >

NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Old 08-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Muzz88, thanks for understanding. I was just making points....nothing hostile!

Cardeer, I got to church on Sunday too....doesn't mean I can't hunt after church or even before. It's the premis that the state has a law against hunting on the Sabbath for no real reason whatsoever. Besides, which is worse.....going to church and thinking about hunting or going hunting and enjoying God's creations? Not arguing, just a different way of thinking for me.

BH88, I sure hope we can make some headway. NJ voted it down, correct? We haven't even voted on it. I hope we get the ball rolling soon....it sure would help!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Ok here is what I have been told, If PA allows Sunday hunting this is what may occur.
They say only 10-12% of bucks survive from year to year, shot, road kill, winter kill and so on. If they allow sunday hunting then that means that YES there will be more people in the woods, since most can only hunt on the weekends. So then that would mean that the number of bucks killed would hypothetically be more, So then probably only 7-9% would survive, DO you think that's a healthy herd of bucks, I don't.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't kill a deer with a gun during that two weeks, you have more problems than not enough days.
That's only true if you can hunt for two weeks. Those with work and family obligations will not spend 2 weeks in the woods. They will hunt 1-3 days of the first week and they might get away for those two weekends. The Sundays would help them out.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:31 PM

I hope they don't pass it. I get in enough trouble hunting Monday through Saturday. Although I can see the other side of the coin. I can hunt most weekdays, so Sunday is a break for me.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pat, I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but since AR what you're saying isn't the case anymore. Like I said, I don't know the exact numbers, but before AR we were killing something to the effect of 75-80% of all of our bucks and 80%+ of those bucks killed were 1.5's. Since a good portion of 1.5's are saved we're no longer killing 75-80% of our bucks. Now, our 2.5's are taking a beating but there are more 1.5's are being carried over.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope they don't pass it. I get in enough trouble hunting Monday through Saturday. Although I can see the other side of the coin. I can hunt most weekdays, so Sunday is a break for me.
Most of my days afield are M-F too, but I'll fight for what's right. I want it instituted. Those that want to fight to keep Sunday's out of season are only fighting against other hunters and taking the side of the anti's that want to destroy our hunting altogether. If you want to stay home on Sunday by all means have at it. But, don't fight to keep others out of the woods for no reason whatsoever.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Jason, So what you are saying is because NC is allowed to hunt with dogs we should be able to do that too? And because Michiganb can bait we should be able too? I'm not for sunday hunting, but I am just trying to figure out why you think I am with the anti's because of that? Pat
Old 09-01-2004, 07:54 PM

Supporting the Sunday ban because of it's potential effect on the deer population makes no sense at all. There's lots more to hunt than deer, and removal of that outdated ban wouldn't automatically bring about Sunday hunting anyway, as that decision would be up to the PGC as our seasons already are.

It's an overly burdensome law that may have once had a purpose, but now discriminates against hunters. There's no longer any justification for it's existance.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:35 AM
etw

What is the purpose of not permitting deer hunting on Sunday? Is the purpose to give the deer a rest? Then why not Wednesday? Is the purpose to keep holy the sabbath? Lots of red flashing lights on that one. "Rules" change all the time, such as Saturday as the sabbath, right? I hunt with family and friends every other year in PA archery. We use Sunday to put up/move stands then visit the nearest town with a "Big Screen" to watch the Eagles. I can't say I saw more bucks, but I saw fewer deer last October. I'd like to hunt Sunday and all the guys in our camp would also. Quaker State, seems to be more than the name for a motor oil. There is no room for bio-politics. If its biolocally sound to permit deer hunting on Sunday, it should be implemented IMO
Old 09-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, So what you are saying is because NC is allowed to hunt with dogs we should be able to do that too? And because Michiganb can bait we should be able too? I'm not for sunday hunting, but I am just trying to figure out why you think I am with the anti's because of that? Pat
My point about supporting the anti's is simple. If you are fighting against doing something to support the sport of hunting then you are helping the anti's acheive what they want. You don't have to be excited about Sunday hunting, agree with it or participate. But, please don't fight to keep other hunters out of the woods.

I don't think using dogs or baiting is right for me, but I'm not going to side with those that want to abolish it. What that has to do with this discussion I'm not quite sure though!?!?

Quick Reply: NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY HUNTING IN PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.