Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA >

what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA

Old 06-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA

a climber , a ladder , a non-climber for northeast , PA woods

i'm also on a tight budget

what are the pro's and con's of each type
Old 06-28-2004, 06:23 PM

Default RE: what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA

I no longer hunt out of treestands, but when I did, I found I had my most luck during the bow season when there was more cover and the deer were in their normal habits. I never liked to hunt from a treestand during gun season because it was usually during the cold weather and it becomes too uncomfortable. I also preferred to use the climbing style (not lounge type) treestand because this style offers portability. Obviously, it is simpler to change your stand location with the climbers. Whichever climber you select, please double check with others to inquire how securely they attach to the tree. I've had stands slip on me as I was getting set up. I also preferred to find two trees close together so that when I climbed up one, I could use the other tree as cover. If you can remain well concealed, it is not important to get too high. Since I am leery (ie chicken) of heights (my reason for not using stands anymore), I only would go about 10 to 15 feet up. If you remain still and well concealed, deer have a tendency to ignore you. This, in addition to the fact that your scent will rise, will offer the bow hunter a tremedous advantage over hunting from the ground. There are good hunters who hunt from the ground and are successful. But, pound for pound, much more archery success comes from the trees... facts don't lie! If they didn't provide results, people wouldn't be using them as often as they do. The only drawback of treestand is SAFETY.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:34 PM

Whelen36 all of my deer hunting is done from a tree stand. I climb as high as I have to for good hunting. I have a 40 foot line that I use to pull my Rifle and bow up to me. My stand is an API and a seat of the pants (SAFETY HARNESS). The last thing you want to do is fall. A member in our hunting club fell from his tree stand 2 years ago from about 12 feet. He was laid up almost a year with a broken shoulder and back. If you are going to buy a tree stand buy a good one and a (SAFETY HARNESS). Good luck take your time and be safe.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not familiar with the NE PA woods, but if it's anything like the hardwoods we have here you're most flexible and economic choice is a climber. I prefer Summit climbers. If you're using it for bowhunting only I would recommend the Cobra or Bushmaster(both have an open front).....if it's for strictly gun hunting the Viper would be my choice and any would be a good bet for a multi-season/weapon stand.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in northwestern NJ, 5 mins from the PA border. I use climber type treestands, Summit is most likely the best, I use API. But no matter what type of stand you use, make sure you have a saftly harness.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'm about 20 minutes away from Northeast Penn. The land is the same as it is where I live. Any stand will do just fine. My option would be for a climber, Lot of deep hardwoods with straight trees up here
Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 AM

I live in Northeastern PA, the Poconos, and we use a variety of Tree Stands. I myself use home built stands and place at strategic points on my property. Since I live along a lake with a swamp behind me, I see lots of deer.

I do see quite a few ladder stands, which people place locks on. If you purchase a hang on stand, you will have to put a ladder on it to get there. I have seen these also but you have to own the property or be in a hunting club that allows them.

If you want verstility then I would go with a climber.

Tom
Old 06-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

What ever you plan on using ,plan on taking out with you each time you hunt. Unless you're on posted & patroled property it probably will be stolen by the end of the season. I hate to say it but here in Pa we probably have more scum roaming our woods than any other state I've ever hunter in and absolutely nothing is sacred. Granted I've only hunted 7 other states but we top them all from what I've seen.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM
etw

I agree with Ruddyduck, Mostly I hunt with buddies out of a cabin in Promised land in State Forest. We use climbers and have had some theft. But, for many years I have used a climber with a rope ladder that has heavy duty snaps to attach to the front of stand. I climb up about 20 feet using the stand then lock it using cable and padlock. Then I decend with a rope ladder. Next day I get in the stand with the rope ladder,(its quiet) gather up the rope ladder and hang it on a hook I have fashioned on the front of the stand. No one has bothered this stand after a week in the woods. Guess its too much trouble to struggle up the rope ladder. Lazy thieves??
Old 06-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys , sounds like clinbers have been the main number chosen ,
i thought about theft myself and was considering chain or cable locks for security ,

BTW - i hunt hickory run state park and beltzville state park , and the state game lands and forests in the area , do any of you know if these places allow lock in place stands ( that don't harm the trees ) and ladders ( of the same type )

originally i was looking at a ladder stand on i think basspro shops site made by " strongbuilt " for 70 to 80 dollars , they've got climbers and lock on stands too

Quick Reply: what type of stand is best or most preferred for northeast PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.