Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 N.Y. Opener, how'd you make out? >

N.Y. Opener, how'd you make out?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Opener, how'd you make out?

Old 05-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default N.Y. Opener, how'd you make out?

Was curious how everyone made out the 1st wknd of Turkey season? I personally had a decent wknd. My son & I were out Sat. We worked in 4 silent jakes, but wouldn't get in close enough range for my son's 20ga. I could've popped 1 at 40yds, but let them go. Sunday my son had enough of me dragging him all over the woods on Sat. Plus he didn't want to challenge the rain. I told him I'd bag a bird today. Sure enough I called in a Tom 17.8lb, 7 1/2" beard, w/3/4" spurs at 7am. My son was little disappointed he didn't go, but very happy I got one. He went with me to get it entered in the local Turkey contest. They alreadly had dozen birds entered, and mine was only 7th place. Plus a local Sportsman club brought in a pic of their opening day only contest, and they had at least 15 toms in the pic! I was like holy cow.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: N.Y. Opener, how'd you make out?

I had them all around me, but none would come in. On my way out there was at least 6 of them gobbling all aorund me. One tom started to come in, but got skiddish and ran off. Then i had two jakes running back in forth in the field behind me. Then some guy came walking through my set-up(with out permission to hunt the land). Then when i decided to leave, i jumped one while walking over to my decoy.

The best part of the morning was when the jakes shock-gobbled at a police or ambulance siren. I didnt know where they were, and they gave themselves up.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:42 PM

i didnt see or hear anything the entire weekend.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got my 1st monday 45yds
i posted it in the turkey forum
congrats
Old 05-05-2004, 04:44 PM

My partner and I went to our camp in Dutchess County and stayed the night on Friday. We went out and tried to roost some birds just before dark and didn't hear a thing. Got into the woods late the next morning due to a faulty hunting partner sleeping too close to the alarm clock. As I was walking in I spooked a hen....I set up there and called and watched for about 45 minutes, not a peep from anything.

I moved and set up someplace else for about another hour....still nothing. Gave up at a little before noon. Then as I was riding out on the quad I kicked a hen?? out of some tall grass. It flew off so fast I couldn't tell if it had a beard or not. All I saw was it's ass as it was flying away.

I'll try again this weekend.

What I DID see!!![:@] TICKS!!! Bajillions of them.....the woods are lousy with them. I even had one in my sleeping bag with me, inside the camper. That sucked.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been out yet!

But....... Seen many on the way to work each morning, I hope to get out next week. NY Turkeys MUST have taken a hit with the deer the last couple winters - still I'm happy to see the numbers I've seen so far this spring.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted in Pine Bush, NY last Monday and between the rain and lack of gobbling didnt see/hear a thing. We actually saw quite a few deer and my partner had a young doe walk right up to our decoy and then come about 10 feet from his boot. Finally had to shoo her away.

We were thinking that maybe the long winter killed some birds as we saw lots during the Fall.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:27 PM

I havent been out. Should get out this weekend. Hunting was pretty
good from what I hear. I have a friend who has his limit and his
family all got birds.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:48 PM

frist two days heard them but they shut right up hope bow season goes better