Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Trout Opener? >

PA Trout Opener?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Trout Opener?

Old 04-17-2004, 09:33 PM

Default RE: PA Trout Opener?

Today was the worst opener I have ever seen in Indiana County! I saw a total of 4 trout pulled out of the 2 streams that I fished today. About 7 hours of fishing, and I didn't even catch one!

I went to Brush Creek in the morning and it was still a little high, but the trout just weren't there! I saw one Amish guy pull out a little brookie, then some kid pulled out 2 brookies in the "deep hole" which is normally packed with trout, and then I saw one guy walking up to his truck with one trout. Everyone I talked to there hadn't even got hits.

Went to Little Mahonning in the mid-day and it was another waist. The water was still high and pretty murky! Not a single person there had any trout. I talked to about 20 guys who had been there all morning and they said that they saw about 5 trout pulled out of the "deep hole" there, and I talked to the owner of the property who said that when the Fish Commission stocked it, they put 21 buckets of trout in that hole! None of the Palaminos were pulled out!

I talked to my best friend who is at his camp and he fished Mill Creek and the Tionesta, and he caught a total of 4 trout and he fished the entire day. His uncle caught a few, along with his cousin. There were 18 guys at the camp, and they caught a total of 12 trout combined! His uncle won the "big trout pool" with a 13" brown trout [:-]

Hopefully the weather stays nice and they pack the trout back in on Monday (the trout are entirely spread out due to the massive flooding)
Old 04-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doublelung, sounds like you had a good day!

BM, Sorry to hear that they weren't biting for ya. Maybe it was the unusual warm weather. I mean, it's just not the first day if it's not raining and 40 degrees out! LOL!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:32 PM

I caught nine fish in 2 hours yesterday morning. Clover Creek in Blair Co. First fish, a brookie, was right at 8:00 on a green salmon egg, then I couldn't scratch another. Tried every other egg color I had with me along with worms and nothing took. I switched to a gold spinner and immeidately caught a little brown and then a rainbow. I moved on to the next run and caught six rainbows in a row, the largest pushing 15 inches. Then I had to go to work [:@]. My Dad fished until lunchtime and caught about a dozen fish.

Tyler
Old 04-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

fished forest county saturday...the branch salmon creek and ross run.....didnt see anyone pull ANYTHING out...one guy did catch a craw fish....i thought it wag good to see something lived in the creek.....i truely do not think they stocked up there.....i talked to a bunch of guys and they had the same story....didnt see a fish let alone catch one...all the stringers hung bare....not the usual guys toting the stringers showing their catch off......last year was the same thing.....whats going on??? i fished here in beaver county today.....i caught 2 browns.....and missed one.....i talked to a guy that been driving around seeing if anyone caught any today and yesterday he said and he told me i was the only one that said they caught a trout from that creek....he said he didnt think they stocked because the creek was flooded when they were supposed to.....cant wait for next weekend.....they are supposededly restocking this week........tomarow i think ill go sit by the lake.......sad openers anymore.....the only fish that are caught are at the lakes or streams in parks and such.......like the one place i fished today.......i really dont think they stocked where i fished in forest county......
Old 04-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pulled out 5 brookies in about 2 hours and that was it. Everyone I talked to was having a slow day. The creek i fished was clear and shallow and there wasn't even fish to be seen. Sunday I went out in the afternoon and didn't catch a thing or get a nibble. I talked to a few guys and they weren't doing any good either.....why do we have to buy a trout stamp again?
Old 04-19-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can vouch for the lack of action on little mahoning. I saw 3 fish caught all morning, and one was foul hooked. A few years ago I vowed never to fish that place opening day again. BUT, my regular fishing crew decided to go there and I didn't want to break away, so I sat there with the rest of them catching nothing.

Sunday I went to the stream where I should have been saturday and caught 26.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

My opening weekend was fun but not very productive in terms of the number of trout caught. I was skunked on opening morning but had a great time taking my two year old out. I hiked way up in the middle of nowhere on Sat. afternoon and caught 3 brookies in a stream no wider than most office desks. Sunday morning I was back at it and caught two more but saw quite a few.

Of course, it would not have been opening day without seeing a fight erupt underneath a small bridge where 25 local fisherman were 'fishing'....
Old 04-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got to fish all of 30 minutes all weekend and managed to catch 3. Two of em were wild browns on Beaver Run. The Stockers just seemed to have lockjaw. Nothing on the Branch but we saw some guys hiking up from lower Salmon creek with nice stringers. On the way home from camp Sunday afternoon we stopped at Tom's Run in Cook Forest and the 4 kids with me got into some . I think they got 10 between em.

Just bidin my time till the water warms up a bit and the crappies start!
Old 04-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lakes are definatley the ticket now , all the creeks r still crappy form the floods , heck even twin lakes was murky, but the top lake for some reason was crystal clear.. Noone used lures up there all day and i caught 5 fish on my first 6 casts, on Joe's flies. then i continued to bang them all day , and i went back yesterday after fishing4 other places with no luck. i did manage to land 2 in the stream all weekend tho , but i got a total of 31 in the lake , and a small bass. cant wait til afternoon next week , maybe ill get a nice gobbler and a nice trout to take the taxi man.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a terrbile opening day. I caught 1 trout on saturday. Sunday i did manage to catch 2. But this is a place i should be cathing 20 or 30 fish per day something screwey is going on. [>:]

Quick Reply: PA Trout Opener?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.