Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 back 2  30 deer in 1 group? >

back 2 30 deer in 1 group?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

back 2 30 deer in 1 group?

Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default back 2 30 deer in 1 group?

I've been hunting 4 over 30 yrs. mostly in pa. & ny. I don't know why anyone would want to go back to the days of seeing 80 to 100 deer on the first day & be lucky to see a spike. The same area I,m talking about I saw 37 deer 8 of witch were bucks the first day this year.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:28 AM

Default RE: back 2 30 deer in 1 group?

If you saw 8 buck in one day than the area you were hunting is 3 or 4 times its goal ,OWDD. When we reach the goal of 13 DPSM, we will ony harvest two buck PSM .so you won't be seeing 8 buck in one day if Alt's plan is successful. You will be very lucky if you see 8 deer the first day.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never remember seeing 100 deer a day although I'm not saying you didn't.I do remember seeing 30+ most years on the first day.I never remember one year that all I saw was small spikes.If you really saw 100 deer a day and one small spike,things definately needed to change.I suspect those 100 deer were actually the same groups of deer running past you all day long.It's mathematically impossible for the adult b/d ratio to be any worse than 1/3.

Just realize,as dd pointed out,if you're seeing 37 deer per day,you're way over the deer densities Alt is shooting for.Therefore,Alt's paln is actually a failure in this case.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:47 PM

My dad used to see 100 deer before noon on the opener, and they weren't the same deer (some might have been). But he would also see 75+ deer every night in the hay fields.

If Alt's plan works, and there are only 13 DPSM, and only 2 buck are taken, ummm... There are about 15-20 hunters PSM where I hunt. That isn't going to work out very well, is it??
Old 04-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anyone will argue that seeing 100+ deer before noon is a recipe for a disaster.Think about this for a moment.There is no way there could be 100 deer and only one buck in an area.Where did all of last years bb's go to?If someone is truly seeing 100 deer a day with only one buck,how many deer are there but are not seen?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

your right ! having #s like that is crazy! adult does will run young bucks out of the area when food is at a premium. the deer are bigger & heather now so lets keep it that way.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know why anyone would want to go back to the days of seeing 80 to 100 deer on the first day & be lucky to see a spike.
The answer to that is rather simple. Some guys are entirely happy just shooting a doe and packing it in for the season. Not everyone wants to shoot a buck....or a large-racked one at that.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:48 PM

Well said PABowhnter.

It is always important to keep in mind that not everyone has the same hunting goals in mind when they set out of camp in the morning. Some guys have put in a full years work chasing a mature buck and that is what they want to see. Some guys want to shoot a buck but don't have the time or energy to put in a full years work so they hope they can mix some luck and a some skill to end up with a nice buck.........and maybe they pass on a few deer along the way in hopes of something bigger. Then you have people that just want to see deer and get some meat in the freezer. If it has antlers then great, if not it still goes on the grill. A great year for them is more then one deer taken........antlers or not.

You don't have to agree with the way someone else hunts to respect it.

Not everyone is the same and if you are not doing anything illeagal we should all be able to co-exist peacefully.

Any leagal ethical hunter is welcome at my campfire anyday.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coming up on my 35th year as a hunter and I do remember those 100 (or close to it) days in the ANF! Undoubtedly, some were the same deer seen more than once. At that time the cooler at the town beer distributor was packed with spikes and forkies. My first buck was a 5 point with a 10" spread and was the second biggest deer in the cooler for the entire first week. At the same time, a deer in suburban Allegheny County was only slightly more common than sasquatch.

Habitat changes, species evolve. Thank goodnes we now have a deer management plan that recognizes these simle little facts of life
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 PM

Any leagal ethical hunter is welcome at my campfire anyday.
Any???????

Quick Reply: back 2 30 deer in 1 group?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.