Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New DEC proposal for Youth Firearms Big Game Hunt >

New DEC proposal for Youth Firearms Big Game Hunt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New DEC proposal for Youth Firearms Big Game Hunt

Old 04-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New DEC proposal for Youth Firearms Big Game Hunt

I just learned from a NY organization I'm a member of the the DEC is now proposing a Firearms Big Game Youth hunt for the weekend of Nov. 13-14 2004. This proposal would allow 16 and 17 year olds to use firearms to harvest deer and bear. The DEC will decide on the proposal May 1st
My organization is not in support of this new proposal. For one they questioned the DEC as to why the weekend of Nov. 13-14, when the 2004 Firearms season for Southern tier opens 11/22/04. The DEC's response was "the deer need a week to calm down before firearms season opens."

Personally I'm totally mystified on why they would propose a full week in advance of the firearms opener. Their response makes absolutely NO sense to me. I was in FULL support of the Early Spring Youth Turkey hunt as that was for younger 12-14yr olds. But this deal I'm not so sure of. For 1 there now becomes a safety concern of having archers in the woods during the PRIME of archery season, and having Young Adults, Not youths in the same woods with Firearms. I see an ugly picture in that.
What I would like to see is bills A1099 lowering the junior archery age from 14 to 12, and A6752 lowering the junior Big Game age from 16 to 14 passed.

You can contact the DEC on this proposal at [email protected]
Old 04-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New DEC proposal for Youth Firearms Big Game Hunt

Buck Alley

I am in complete agreement with all your points. There are major differences between this proposal and the spring youth hunt - all of which you stated. Lower the ages (both archery and gun) and make the 1st 2 days of gun youth only.

Steve
Old 04-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont get the point of the youth hunt. I mean why should 16 and 17 year olds get to gun hunt a weekend early? If they make it on that date, then it is only for the southern zone, because they can hunt in the norther zone anyway. I just dont get the logic behind it
Old 04-10-2004, 06:50 AM

didnt i say with the turkey hunt for youths that dec is proposing a youth firearms hunt? here it is...... too bad i cant get out for this one bc im not of age!!! but still im glad that parents that dont have kids that can attend the youth turkey hunt can have this still....