Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC has it figured out!! >

DEC has it figured out!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC has it figured out!!

Old 04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DEC has it figured out!!

ATLASMAN,THIS CASE IS DISMISSED FOR LACK OF EVIDENCE,YOU PROVIDED THE COURT WITH NOT A SHRED OF FACT OR FIGURE,ITS TIME TO CONVENE ANYTHING FUTHER AND YOU WILL BE HELD IN COMTEMPT[]DISMISSED!!!![:-][:-][:-]
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey I saw a deer last night on the way home from work!!! What a moment. It was really remarkable. OK that's 1 per square mile as far as I can tell. Now what?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me and 99% of the other hunters out there
99%? I must live and hunt with all the ones that make up the other 1% - Southern Cayuga county around Moravia on the east side of Owasco Lake. Had no problem filling 5 tags and passing on many, many more. Hunting small private parcels that have several other hunters with permission. Bordering a state forest that has heavy archery pressure and gets pounded the 1st week and most of gun and even muzzloader.

In the last week, while driving my area at dusk and dawn, have seen good numbers of deer in the fields. Most of my friends and other hunters had similar success in harvesting the venison they desired. Not saying the DEC is right or perfect - just that different areas and observations do exsist. And 99% may be a little off.

Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 10:03 AM

atlas-

You make some pretty valid points. I still tend to disagree with some of your logic. However, I know for a fact that DEC is teeter-tottering on several issues and just waiting to hear some hunter feed back. As I have said before, we are fortunate enough to have several agencies within this state, that hunters in other areas would die for. Moreover, if you have somehting to tell the DEC regarding your hunting experiences then I encourage you to do so and as often as possible.

Also, the DEC has stated that this year the deer population in NY is stable or slightly on the decline as they had hoped for. In most areas they have reached desirable levels for the habitat and we should be seeing a few less DMP this year in some places. Hopefully, this will ease your mind a little.

Lastly, to state the 99% of the hunters in this state are dis-satified is a littel bit of an overstatement, would you agree? I do not personally know one person who is dissatisifed with the current system of managment. However, I do hear several people on-line who have some issues with what is transpiring. I believe thse sediments are highly regional, however.

I have one last question for you: What part of the state do you hunt and do you hunt public or private land primarily?

Thanks. TGK
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 AM

I was out and about last night around 6:00pm and I saw more deer than I could count, there were several fields with at least 15 to 20 deer in the herd, now that to me looks like a pretty good deer population,

All around this area Stueben, Schyular, Chemung County's, I have seen deer every day, and not just one or two, a whole freakin herd. Now I am sure in some areas the deer aren't that aboundent, so I don't think the population in down all over, It's just in some areas. I think this issue has grown way out of proportion, and no one is getting anywere, you all are just picking back and forth like school children. let the DEC do what they do, If some one has a better way well write to your main DEC office, quit whinning and do something about it..
Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

So was that just the long drawn out atlasman way of saying "Sorry, I don't have a single shred of evidence to back up any of the claims I've made."?

Why am I not surprised.

You ask a question that can't possibly be answered and then act smug when you get your reply.......I am also surprised

The data you asked for cannot be obtained by a single person with no access to the equipment and manpower necessary to collect it. Also it would take a VERY long time to do what you asked so you know no one can do it if it is not their job.

Once again that is what the DEC is for.........not me.

I noticed you conveniently glossed over 2 important sections of my reply.

#1 You are focusing too much on the counting issue rather then the fact that the low numbers........which is the REAL concern. I would ask you to show me where I said that poor counting was without a doubt the problem but I know you will not answer me like so many times before and also you couldn't answer me if you wanted to because I never said it. Try sticking to the topic instead of making foolish claims off on a tangent..............and for god's sake will you look up hypocrite in the dictionary because not answering other people's questions and then gloating when your's isn't answered is laughable.

#2 You made no effort to explain what you have to prove your beliefs in the DEC and their numbers............because you have NONE. Nothing except their word which you just happen to follow with blind faith. You have no way of knowing if anything they tell you is actually done and to what degree of accuracy.........other then what they tell you. You choose to believe them soley on their word.......I however need more then someone's word to take the bait. If their word matched with what I and the majority of hunters were seeing and experiencing in the field then I would have no trouble agreeing with them. When their word totally conflicts with what most people are seeing first hand in the woods then something needs to be looked at more closely because they both can't be that far off.

At least my opinion is based on the reality of what is going on in the woods..........your's is based on what some number crunching technician prints off his laptop.

Did you call Bush and ask him how smart it is to blindly follow data on paper and bad stats while discounting the first hand feedback of those in the field??
Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: dvdegeorge

ATLASMAN,THIS CASE IS DISMISSED FOR LACK OF EVIDENCE,YOU PROVIDED THE COURT WITH NOT A SHRED OF FACT OR FIGURE,ITS TIME TO CONVENE ANYTHING FUTHER AND YOU WILL BE HELD IN COMTEMPT[]DISMISSED!!!![:-][:-][:-]

I'm guessing you are a child
Old 04-08-2004, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Me and 99% of the other hunters out there
99%? I must live and hunt with all the ones that make up the other 1% - Southern Cayuga county around Moravia on the east side of Owasco Lake. Had no problem filling 5 tags and passing on many, many more. Hunting small private parcels that have several other hunters with permission. Bordering a state forest that has heavy archery pressure and gets pounded the 1st week and most of gun and even muzzloader.

In the last week, while driving my area at dusk and dawn, have seen good numbers of deer in the fields. Most of my friends and other hunters had similar success in harvesting the venison they desired. Not saying the DEC is right or perfect - just that different areas and observations do exsist. And 99% may be a little off.

Steve

I hunted moravia 3-4 days with my two brothers last year..........my oldest brother saw a spiker out of bow range and that was it. Nice place though. Didn't see any other archery hunters any of the days we hunted. Saw a couple of gun hunters one day with tree pruners cutting "shooting lanes" []
Old 04-08-2004, 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: osiris

Lastly, to state the 99% of the hunters in this state are dis-satified is a littel bit of an overstatement, would you agree?
Probably.............but that is a VERY accurate statement reguarding the western ny area where I primarily hunt. I have yet to speak to someone any where near here that is seeing anything different then what I am saying. I know a group of 25 guys that come up every year from PA to hunt our southern tier.........they love it and have been coming for years. The last few years they have been saying that the deer numbers are down noticably and this last season they only took one spike buck in a 5 day hunt with 25 guys [] Sadly, this was the last straw......next year they are going to try Ohio instead.

I do not personally know one person who is dissatisifed with the current system of managment. However, I do hear several people on-line who have some issues with what is transpiring. I believe thse sediments are highly regional, however.
I can't speak for the ENTIRE state..........and I think the DEC makes that very mistake. Sure the herd has dense spots but just because one area has a bunch of deer doesn't mean other areas are the same. They need to do a better job of recognizing the areas that are getting whacked too hard and back off the permits for awhile. I have 10-15 deer in my backyard every day..........but do me a favor and don't use them as a way to determine the population in our area because they can't be hunted.

Did you see the chart for doe permits last year??........JESUS!!! Just about every damn option was a high liklihood of 2 tags. Cmon man, they are saying that damn near EVERY zone in the state is infested??

I have one last question for you: What part of the state do you hunt and do you hunt public or private land primarily?

Thanks. TGK

Western NY. Erie, Wyoming, Cattaragus, Allegheny counties mostly. Also hunted a few times out near Auburn in Moravia (not sure county). I hunt private and state land with more time spent on state land especially for gun seasons.

Quick Reply: DEC has it figured out!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.