Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY >

DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Old 03-21-2004, 02:52 PM

Default DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Let's talk turkey. Thanks to New York's Department of Environmental Conservation, you'll be able to do just that and more- on Youth Turkey Day, scheduled for the weekend of April 24-25. The new regulation will permit youngsters ages 12-15 to hunt wild turkey, provided the young hunter has a valid junior hunting license, a tukey permit and is accompanied by a fully licensed adult. The weekend is for junior hunters only; the accompanying adult or guardian can assist only by calling the gobbler. Gerry Barnhart, director of the DEC's Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources, said that the youth hunt would always precede the start of the regular spring turkey season by three days and that the bag limit is restricted to one bearded bird. "That bird would then become part of the youth's regular spring-season, two-bird limit.The second bird can be taken during legal hunting hours between May 1st and May 31st," Barnhart said
Barnhart also said that DEC is proposing a similiar youth hunt for deer and bear that would allow youngsters ages 16-17 to hunt big game the weekend of November 13-14.

I dont know about you guys but me and my dad are gonna be out that weekend!!!
-Squirrel
Old 03-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Any youth in the Rochester area who need a guardian,I'd be happy to help you out.Would love to help a young hunter harvest their 1st tom.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard about this about a month ago, and wondered if the DEC passsed it yet or not. I was hoping it would. We need to get our youth more involved in hunting in NY. Its our future to loose if we don't!! I'll be out with my son that wknd!!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

VT does this for turkey, deer, and waterfowl. the kids love it, the downside is the old farts like my father that believe somehow the kid shot a buck out from under him, he forgets that most of the deer shot are doe. oh, that's right, by being in the woods the weekend before regular firearms, they must be stirring up the population. why doesn't N.Y.lower your age requirement( you have one, i think) for hunting? i know we don't have one here, just have to be able to read and pass the test, some kids start as young as 6 or 7.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

neat - I wish it was around 20 years ago!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:48 AM

yea in Ny the minimum age for small game is 12- gun-- comes with standard hunting course, bow-- separate 8 hour course
you can take these classes at 11 and be in the woods when you turn 12 thats what i did..... When you turn 14 you can take big game with the bow, at 16 you can take big game with a rifle,shotgun,muzzleloader or bow....
Old 04-05-2004, 10:33 AM

well i wish they started this a little earlier. I missed it by one year
Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing here in PA, ill be headed out for turkey on april 24th... its a 1 day hunt here , but still gives me a decent chance before all the other hunters r marching around...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of those that do not like these "youth hunts"...

1) In states such as mine, CT, we are not allowed to hunt Sundays. Therefore, the large portion of the hunting public only hunts 3-4 days a season.

2) In populated areas, a 1 or 2 day "preseason hunt", can drastically affect birds and their behavior. Not too many old wary toms come back looking for more 4 shot...

3) If "hunting" and all of its traditions are to be taught, then harvesting the bounty should be last on the list. Therefore, why do "youths" need an earlier date exclusive to them?

Bottom line, we do need to get more of youths into the woods. Bigger bottom line, we shouldn't have to sell it with a better opportunity at "killing" something. Time in the woods spent with friends/family should be enough, unless the family needs the food. And if the family needs the food, those youths affected more than likely don't need any extra encouragement, and probably hunt better than most adults anyway...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.