Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Wounded starving deer... >

Wounded starving deer...

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wounded starving deer...

Old 01-28-2004, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Wounded starving deer...

I think that hay or oats would be about the best thing that you could put out for him.
I personally would shoot it and then butcher what is left of him up yourself. If your caught glady pay the fine and declare to the end that you did the ethical thing.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd let him be ....you'd be suprised at how tough deer are, he might make it on his own. If you whack him, he definetly wont have a chance..
my .o2
moose
Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 PM

This is just how nature cycles and don't think we should really intervene. The dead dear will help feed other animals so its really not a waste. I also hate to see animals suffer but it happens.
Cheers!!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

For those of you that are saying shoot the deer and pay the fine if caught. Do you realize you'll also loose your hunting license for a few years? Get your name in the paper etc? Still worth it?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the corn thing....What if deer are still picking over cornfields with some still leftover. If they've never stopped picking here and there since fall, will they digest it?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was part of their diet yes they would digest it.

Is it legal to feed deer in Pa?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

PaJen, A friend of mine took a button buck last week that had its back leg hanging on by skin. The deer was in ok condition. (soy bean and corn still available). I seen this same deer almost 4 weeks ago and he got along with a limp. As he was dressing the deer, the bad smell started to hiy him. I guess gangrene had set in and the deer would not survive much longer. The deer was left for nature to take care of.

I pesonally, would take the animal down if it is as bad as you say it is.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

drop it! if you can get away with it, and your neighbors don't say anything, do it! if anything is worth saving on it, eat it, or use it as bait like others have said. worring about what some warden will say is stupid, he isn't the one seeing it every day, if that's a concern. and can you imagine the field day the anti-hunting crowd would have with a picture of that deer?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM

IMO, it is best to let nature take it's course. You never know, he may survive and be a great buck in a few years. Obviously, the exact opposite could happen as well but you never know and it's just best to let nature do it''s thing. TGK
Old 01-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

My heart says you should put the deer down, but my conscious says leave it alone.

Quick Reply: Wounded starving deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.