HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   New pistol regs/fees in NY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/51066-new-pistol-regs-fees-ny.html)

doughboysigep 01-28-2004 11:44 AM

New pistol regs/fees in NY

Well, has everyone heard about this new whammy the state is trying to pull?? I heard last nite on the local news that NYS, in its infinite wisdom, wants to put additional fees on pistol permitting AND make it manditory to renew & pay for your pistol permit every 5 years!
I am not postive on the actual amount and increases, but I do remember something like $25/ammendment (currently, i pay $3 for up to 3 guns on an ammendment) and the news may have even said that the renewals would be in excess of $100. I don't know about you but, to me, that stinks.
I have no problems with registering my pistols or having to go through a NICS check (shouldn't bother any non-criminals?) but when they start jacking fees and trying to price a permit out of range, that's a bit too much.
The other jist to the story ws that this was going to be a State thing, whereas now it is up to individual counties to regulate the permits. They try and justify it by saying it will help keep guns out of the wrong peoples hands. Yeh right, simple fact the criminals are always going to have guns. What helps keep crime down (to some degree) is that they know that private citizens may have a bigger gun or more ammo :D. Go ask some of the boys down in Texas.

Something to think about & complain about. I hope this doesn't come to fruition and the beaurocrats see the errors of their ways.

Charlie P 01-28-2004 12:41 PM

RE: New pistol regs/fees in NY

That sucks I just talked with my wife yesterday about getting my pistol permit.

doughboysigep 01-28-2004 02:18 PM

get it now, get it quick - hope that these new regs don't come in effect

thndrchiken 01-28-2004 02:18 PM

Trying to make it so expensive so people will not want to bother. That's like one of the brain child politicians here in the PRNJ trying to make .50 cal muzzleloaders illegal.

jimpok61 01-29-2004 12:06 PM

[X(] Sad but true. I read about it the other day. When will it ever end in NYS? The only folks left will be those congregated in the bigger cities!

DJBAD 01-29-2004 07:46 PM

WELL DOWN HERE ON LONG ISLAND THE PRICE FOR A HAND GUN PERMIT IS UP THERE. WHEN I GOT IT 3 YEARS AGO I HAD TO PAY 85 DOLLARS AND IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR 5 YEARS. I THINK TH ERENEWAL FEE IS 25 DOLLARS. WE HAVE TO PAY 5 DOLLARS FOR EVERY NEW PISTOL I PUT ON THE LICENSE JUST FOR THEM TO TYPE IT ON THE LIC. IT ALSO TAKES UP TO 6 MONTHS TO GET THE LIC.

Elkcrazy8 01-30-2004 04:02 AM

I grew up in NYS and the whole pistol permit thing sucks. I moved to Idaho and purchased a pistol over the counter with my drivers lisc. Crime is down because almost everyone has a whole drawer full of pistols. The extra money for the pistol permits should be covered by the "temporary" tolls on the thruway. What a joke. You all can have my hunting spots because I ain't coming back.

huntal 02-08-2004 12:06 PM

I WAS AT THE SCI MEETING THE OTHER DAY AND THIS WAS A BIG TOPIC. WE SENT HUNDERDS OF LETTERS TO LEGISLATERS. THE NEW FEES WOULD BE $100 FOR RENEWAL EVERY 5 YEARS AND $25 TO ADD OR DELETE GUNS. GET INVOLVED SO WE CAN PUT A END TO THIS.

doughboysigep 02-08-2004 01:37 PM

it appears like this bill is receiving quite a bit of opposition in the legislature (so our local paper states)
that makes me feel a bit more at ease. as with all bills like this, they usually fizzle or get shot down
glad to hear of the support your group sent for its opposition

Robertesq1 02-08-2004 06:07 PM

Wow they thought that they had it good when the $185 fee went from 2 to 3 years in NYC