Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Looking for shed hunting companions >

Looking for shed hunting companions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Looking for shed hunting companions

Old 01-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Spike

Default Looking for shed hunting companions

I've been shed hunting for over 20 years and have found hundreds in that time.Over the years my kids have gone out with me alot but they always out grow it.I was wondering if there are any shed hunters in the Fayette County area of P.a and if there is would they be interested in shed hunting with me .Compitition and comeradery always make things more interesting.So if anyones interested please drop me an email.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: Looking for shed hunting companions

I went out this afternoon to some game lands in adah saw aproximatly 50 different deer before the big storm hit.I did'nt see any deer with antlers and I did'nt find any.If we get any accumilation with this storm shed hunting will be on hold for awhile.One doe I watched for awhile tonight was only running on 3 good legs the front left leg was flopping in the wind from what I would call the elbow down.Its amazing just how tough wild animals truely are.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunatly I'm not from your area. Do you have any tips that you would like to share with the board for finding sheds?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:17 AM

I have been shed hunting for several years...I usually get out about 3 to 4 times in the winter...and have only found a couple of sheds...but kind of by accident and more in the spring after snow is gone.

I usually walk the "deer yards" and packed down trails...is this the way to do it?? Sometimes I feel like I am looking for sheds on 100 percent doe trails. Should I look around for "lone deer" trails. Do bucks (big bucks) yard up with the rest of the deer in winter?

I am a bit puzzled.

BTW: I am a long way from PA...I can only join you in this forum and in spirit.

Good luck!!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Spike

Trails are a good place to start I follow alot of trails.High percentage areas are spots that get alot of sun light on clear days.Slops with alot of the round woody type briers are good, deer eat the heck outta that 1 kind of brier. On many occasions I've actually found antlers hanging in those briers.Any edge type cover is good like pipe lines,power lines edges of cut overs that are about waist high.Right now I'm seeing alot of deer in crp fields.I find alot of sheds in cedar thickets.Deer like cedar because its warmer in the thickets and they strip the bark off and eat it like spaghetti noodles.Deer wont be far from food at this time of year so any food source is a good place to start.I spend alot of time when I'm driving down the road scanning the woods and fields looking for deer.I find new spots to look that way.I have also found alot of bucks that have been hit by cars that way.Bedding areas are good spots but I dont look there until after I'm sure the majority of the deer have shed other wise you risk driving them out of those areas.One of the most important tools I carry is a good set of Binoculers.They cut down on alot of leg work .Another thing I do is stop and turn around and look where I just walked thru you will be surprised at how many sheds you walk by.They blend in very well.Some folks I've shed hunted with take a shed they have found and place it in different types of cover so they can get there eyes used to picking them out in different places.Also dont look for the whole shed you rarely ever see the whole shed just parts of it.The best time to find sheds is march and april before green up .I hope this helps some.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

The one simple tip that I have to remind myself of is look just in front of where you are walking. Most sheds are right in front of you if you are looking in the right places. Alot of my friends scan the woods way away from them and miss sheds that are right at their feet. And just get out and look. I believe there is a nack to finding them and the more you look the more you will find and the more you will learn about your hunting area.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would love to hook up with you. where do you live??? i have no clue how far that is from me. i am 17 and willing to walk as far as you can. i am an avid shed hunter. here are some pics of my "finds" from the previous 3 years.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Spike

17 years old and loves to hunt sheds.That is just outstanding.From the looks of things you do pretty good at it.It does my heart good to see a young man that loves to hunt shed and aint affraid to walk awhile to find them.Over the years I've found a couple racks like that big spike in your picture.I believe those are very old deer and they just cant grow points off there main beams anymore.I see you've also found a few spike sheds.Spike sheds are the hardest to find not only because they are so small but because I believe squirrels can easily pick them up and carry them off.I live about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh if you ever make it this way look me up we will go shed hunting.Good luck this season.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:22 AM

hey shedman ,where abouts in fayette county?? i live on the outskirts of uniontown.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Spike

I live on 166 in Republic.

Quick Reply: Looking for shed hunting companions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.