Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Baiting

Old 02-14-2002, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting

I'm one of the bowhunters in the Fox Chapel program and that's exactly what we do. The sharpshooting goes on after the bow season and only where bowhunting (with or without bait) isn't feasible.
I really dont think baiting would be any help there. I think it should be a last last LAST resort anywhere!
Old 02-14-2002, 06:50 AM

That's another question. I'm told it's effectiveness is largely overblown.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not in my opinion, Mark. I've hunted for 10 different landowners in 8 years (6 properties but people have moved in and out) Every one of those has agreed that there has been a noticeable difference. Also the deer/ car collisions in entire the borough are down by over 80% from what they were before the program. Just curious, where did you hear that the success was overrated?
Old 02-14-2002, 09:45 AM

Sorry for the missunderstanding. I was referring to baiting.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too have heard that baiting is overrated.
I've heard that a few apples becomes a bushel becomes a wheelbarrowful becomes a truckload in order to draw em from the next guys baitpile. The articles I've read on baiting, mostly from Michigan, we're not exactly glowing reviews. I really hope we don't start down that slippery slope!
Old 02-15-2002, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well - I guess I'll throw my feet in the fire.I've deer hunted 30yrs,27 of those yrs never baited.My state in recent years allowed baiting on private land.That No1 makes it legal.They want to reduce the deer herd.

I hunt 200+ acres.The land owner has put his land under state management for habitat improvement.No more bean or corn crops to hunt over.All the farms around us have corn/beans.5K of adjacent state land leaves standing corn!This has left us with no other alternative,except to bait and draw deer off other property.I/we bait very little,and only it certain areas to draw deer into and move them thru the farm.We do not dump truck loads of corn(as some do).

If you think about it almost everthing we do in the pursuit of deer is baiting.

I carry 3-4 apples with me at all times.I rub them on boots,clothing,trees.I've seen deer walk up to stand with nose to ground,sniffing apples.Is this baiting or just scent cover??

If I plant apple trees next year,(I am BTW) use a grunt call,use tinks super duper #9 and watch Mr Buck walk in with lip curled,did I bait that deer?

Baiting is expensive and a pain the Butt! This past year we planted clover.Saved alot on bait cost.

You do what you gotta do,as long as it's legal.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2002, 02:47 PM

if baiting is so not worth the effort, never kill a big moss back buck near a bait pile. I wonder why so many guys pay big $$ to do it in such areas as Texas and as far as Sask.
With baiting the biggest pile wins.
and how do you keep the bears out of it, or the turkeys?
PRO CROSSBOW / ANTI BAIT
Old 02-16-2002, 03:47 PM

Anti Crossbow/Anti Bait

Just Say No to Crossbows!
Old 02-16-2002, 04:56 PM

Gar at least you're half correct..how about best of 3...
ANTI BAIT/ ANTI UBP/ PRO CROSSBOW

Quick Reply: Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.