Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Baiting

Old 02-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Baiting

Not that my opinion really matters. But. I keep feeders Full of corn in the off season. i have come to find that the deer will use my feeders if they need it. If they dont they wont. if we have a good acorn crop which we have in the past 3 years,,,the deer hardly touch it. ( the squirells give it heck tho) I quit feeding about 2 months before the Pa. deer season opens. I have yet to find deer searching for corn at any time during the hunting season. but,,this topic has me wonderin if i am a sportsmanslike hunter or an unsportsmenslike hunter due to the fact that i have baited deer & i probably will in the future. I see nothing wrong with it! I dont go out all fall & shoot deer off the light, I spend alot of time each year searching for the perfect treestand placement & i think that if a deer stops to get a little nibble of something while im preparing to make a shot in a clear opening more power to me,,,im gonna have the time to get a good clean kill shot & im not gonna be lookin in the next county for a deer with an arrow half broken off inside it. like i said thats just my opinion & im sure that i'll get plenty of criticism for bein honest but thats just me.

have a nice day
Mike
Old 02-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Baiting Bear is illegal in West Virgina.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:04 PM

Hello All,

My father has a lease in Delaware where they do allow baiting and salting of deer. We hauled 100 lbs of salt down there two years ago. It took three months for the deer to start hitting the salt blocks. The blocks are pretty well gone by now but we have never seen a deer at the blocks.

My father hunted over salt for four days that year and did not see a deer. Next we tried shelled corn. The squirrels loved it but most of it rotted up or germinated.

Next, Dad hauled 100 lbs of apples. Placed them under the loblolly trees. He hunted over the apples for six days. Did not see a deer near them. They rotted up too. I think we wasted alot of time and effort trying to bait these deer.

Dad has killed three bucks in three years in Delaware. All during the rut when they were chasing does. We could not kill a deer there at any other time. Does baiting work? Is it unfair? It didn't work for us in Delaware.

This is my only experience with baiting and I sure wouldn't waste my time or money doing it here in PA if it were legal. I would rather hunt under a white oak tree dropping acorns or next to an alfalfa field. Better yet over a hot scrape or rub line during the rut!!!

Gar
Old 02-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mhogan, Christine's right. WV allows the baiting of deer...but not turkeys or bear. Like I said before, baiting to kill a deer is an art. It's more challenging than you think and more work than it's worth in my eyes. However, I have no problem with it.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:33 PM

Mike, of course your opinion maters. Wouldn't you feel left out if you didn't get critisium like everyone else?

Christine, you are correct. Are you allowed to bait deer?
Old 02-11-2002, 04:52 PM

like I said earlier. I've been feeding deer/bear for more than 10 yrs. and do it yr round. If you leave the feed out 24/7 they will feed at night. knowing they will eat undisturbed. the trick to seeing daytime deer is only place enough feed for 1 feeding and remove it before dark. they'll soon be so conditioned to comming in during daylight. You can be mowing the lawn within 10 feet of them and they'll hardly give you a look. After a few weeks of this you can leave feed out 24/7 and they'll just come in the morning and late day.
To those guys that say they aren't killing bucks over the feed. the trick is to feed the does. during the rut the bucks will come to looking for the does.
Pa does have a law written that says you cannot intentionally plant a food plot for the purpose of hunting over it. nor can you hunt near one that was planted for that purpose whether you are knowledgeable of it or not. The burden falls on the hunter to prove himself. not the PGC to prove otherwise. Pa's law in regard to this follows the same guidelines as the Federal migratory bird acts.
like I said in another post .you can stand in a cut corn field with waste corn lying all about. perfectly legal. But pick up a cob and toss it over by your stand from that same field and you just broke the law.
There is about as much challenge to hunting an established bait sight as there is in stomping baby chicks. It will surely come under fire from an anti org. .also ultimately be the ruination of sport hunting in this state. Once guys figure out how to do it correctly. you guys that fear the crossbow, should ...FEAR THIS EVEN MORE!!!!!
Pro Crossbow/ Anti bait

Edited by - Ledgen LS on 02/11/2002 17:58:02
Old 02-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, as Pro-Line stated baiting deer is allowed in WV. However the baiting of Bear, Turkey, and Boars is illlegal here.

Edited by - Christine B on 02/11/2002 18:30:29
Old 02-11-2002, 05:30 PM

Thanks. Then I would like to change my previous post to:

And some states like W.Va. allow deer baiting, but not bear baiting.

I wanted to show that you can't just say this or that state allows baiting. Some allow it for some animals, but not all animals.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:26 PM

I dont think anyone should be on here admitting they feed deer in PA because it has been posted on here that that is against the law. As for crossbows only in Ohio can anyone hunt with a crossbow and you know what more deer are taken there with a crossbow than with a regular bow. Why is that.

Old 02-11-2002, 09:30 PM

i have never hunted over bait here in n.y. itnis illegal. i guess in the rigth situation it may help. but with a little scouting you can find were they eat. happy hunting.

Quick Reply: Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.