Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Moose hunting in ME >

Moose hunting in ME

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Moose hunting in ME

Old 01-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moose hunting in ME

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about how many points I would need to receive a moose hunting permit in Maine?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Moose hunting in ME

It's all in the luck of the draw. I've been applying since I was old enough to hunt and haven't got drawn yet. I don't have much faith in the point system, it doesn't seem to increase the chances much.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

The Maine Moose hunt does not have points that build up like states out west do. they call them points but all the points do in Maine is to get your name in the hat one extra time for each year you have been putting in. And if you see the application this year you can buy 10 chances for $53 and you can do this as many times as you want. If you have the money you can put your name in there as many times as you want. It is getting to be a real money making scheme but I will be putting in anyway. I was drawn 2 years ago and it was a great time. This is the first yeat since then that I am able to put back in.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:33 AM

pj, they've nailed it already for you, but keep at it. Most I've talked to have had to wait 15+ years for theirs, I drew mine this year after 2 years of applying, so who knows if/when you'll get it. Keep after it - it is a blast!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 AM

shedhead, how many years did you apply before getting a draw? I've been trying for 7 years, and my son for 5 with no luck so far! Were you the main permit holder, or a permittee? Did you kill a moose, and if you did, was it a cow or a bull?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
ARO

this is my 5th year appling, and havent drawn one yet.

5 down, 10 or 15 years to go[&:][&:][&:]
Old 01-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Snoball,

I guess I had been applying for about 12 years before being drawn and I was the main permittee. I drew zone 1 and it turned out to be a real tough hunt. From what I learned that area has alot of moose poaching from loggers in Canada and the moose were really spread out and skiddish. I hunted the first 3 days with my bow and then changed over to gun for the rest of the week. I did end up shooting a 582 lb cow at 11 am on the last day and she was tasty. But all in all it was a great experience. I did hire a local guide from Ashland who did some scouting before we arrived.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:36 AM

shedhead, you lucky s.o.b.! I hunt zone one and have been trying to draw a moose permit for that zone....finding the moose is not the problem for me, it's getting a tag!

To give an idea of the odds.....my grandfather, father, and uncle have applied every year since the lottery was started (not sure exactly when it began). My grandfather and father each got drawn once, but my uncle has never been drawn. My cousin and I have been applying for over 10 years and neither of us have been drawn yet. It's not easy unless you're really lucky!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Split hoof,

Are you from Maine?
Old 01-25-2004, 05:34 AM

shed - yes, I'm from Allagash (you must know where that is).

Quick Reply: Moose hunting in ME

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.